Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Climbing Frames, Benches Etc.

I still haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this one - as I only have 10 YR children in my class of 30 (YR/1/2), I would love to be able to let one group at a time into the hall from time to time, where we have a lovely climbing frame, benches etc. We have access to the playground for bikes and other wheeled toys, but nothing to climb on, walk along and balance (apart from ropes on the ground and playground markings) and so on. I take the reception group on their own for a gym session now, but would love to be able to let a small group have free access to the hall in this way for those times when they want to move around like this, but don't want to go outside (we're at the foot of the Pennines, and although the door to the outside area is nearly always open, some of them are a bit "nesh", as we say round here, when the cold wind starts whistling!)

Our support staff are brilliant, but no one seems to be able to say for definite whether they are covered for insurance purposes, and if so, for how many children. How do you people on in different settings where you have a climbing frame outside?

Thanks, Tracylu :)

Are you saying you could get access to the climbing frame in a freeflow sort of way?

Your question re: Insurance, I presume like any other establishment, appropriatte adult/child ratio's and risk assessment should suffice.

Peggy

Your question re: Insurance, I presume like any other establishment, appropriatte adult/child ratio's and risk assessment should suffice.

And a check of the insurance policy itself, along with the 'operating instructions' for the equipment from the manufacturer!

If you mean the gym apparatus in the hall, I would agree with Apple. We have a great wooden climbing area just outside our area but I just couldn't let the children on it unsupervised.

Thanks everyone - no, I didn't mean in a completely free flow way as in with no adult supervision, I just mean to be able to set it up in the morning, and perhaps have one adult in the hall for regular time slots as I would when we go out onto the yard with the bikes (there isn't enough space in our "free flow" area for bikes.

I just can't seem to get anyone in authority to say one way or another that either it has to be a qualified teacher, as it does with a gym lesson (our HLTA isn't allowed to teach gym - but I'm not sure if this is just our head being mega cautious, or if it's a blanket regulation) or that it's OK for a TA to supervise a small group on it, and if so, how many. I'll have a dig around and see if I can get my hands on the insurance details.

:o

PS Ger - Just out of interest, how many children do you let on your wooden frame at a time?

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)