Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Wellies - To Recycle Or Not

HI

Could I ask for your knowledge on the indoor / outdoor environment.

I voluntarily work in a pre-school completing my foundation degree of which I am their chair person.

Last week I took 6 children out in the rain (with wellies, raincoats etc) to visit their surroundings with a newly qualifed member of staff.

During this we went puddle hopping!!!!!!!! with great enjoyment. Lots of discriptive language used and happy wet children.

The older member of stafff refused to come along as it was Raining! although the week before she was queit happy to.

There are two members of staff who are now stating that they will not put children in donated wellies "Could have a child with varrucas (even though they all wore their own socks).

I just wondered what your views on donated wellies are as I feel this is just a hurdle to over come in allowing access to free flow indoor/outdoor learning.

I have asked the local community to donate wellies, muddy puddles and child sized umbrelleas as we are a small charity setting.

Also do other settings provide adult wellies/ rain coats ?

Please help as I feel very passionate about this and don't want to upset the other staff.

Sam

Edited by Guest

HI

Could I ask for your knowledge on the indoor / outdoor environment.

I voluntarily work in a pre-school completing my foundation degree of which I am their chair person.

Last week I took 6 children out in the rain (with wellies, raincoats etc) to visit their surroundings with a newly qualifed member of staff.

During this we went puddle hopping!!!!!!!! with great enjoyment. Lots of discriptive language used and happy wet children.

The older member of stafff refused to come along as it was Raining! although the week before she was queit happy to.

There are two members of staff who are now stating that they will not put children in donated wellies "Could have a child with varrucas (even though they all wore their own socks).

I just wondered what your views on donated wellies are as I feel this is just a hurdle to over come in allowing access to free flow indoor/outdoor learning.

I have asked the local community to donate wellies, muddy puddles and child sized umbrelleas as we are a small charity setting.

Also do other settings provide adult wellies/ rain coats ?

Please help as I feel very passionate about this and don't want to upset the other staff.

Sam

I have no problem with using donated wellies, in fact we couldn't take all the chidlren out without them. With regards to your staff, they have no choice it is part of the EYFS curriculum and if they don't like it they shouldn't be working with this age range. I would not provide clothing for them but I would insist that they go outside. They will soon work out that appropriate clothing is a must.

I have no problem either. When we asked for donations of wellies we got overwhelmed with pairs! If someone was totally picky why not try a dettox spray down the welly, say once a half term.....

No doubt its totally ineffective but it may help placate some 'moaners'.....

We too use donated wellies..... and as already said we wouldn't get out much without them!!!

As for your staff.........

They don't have the option to say no.

Outdoors is part of the EYFS.

Maybe they aren't cut out for this age group!!!!

agree we have wellies in our dressing up area too..

and all the shoes they love to wear clomping around the room..

And staff supply own outdoor wear.. but we do have a couple of large umbrellas! and a spare raincoat and fleece which they use if they have conveniently forgotten their own.. used by all so shared garments..

As said.. no choice they go out with the children.. part of the job.. perhaps an overhaul job descriptions to include this.

Inge

As said.. no choice they go out with the children.. part of the job.. perhaps an overhaul job descriptions to include this.

This is a really tricky issue: changes to job descriptions need to be negotiated carefully (although ultimately employers can push through a change to terms and conditions/job descriptions by following a set procedure.

If staff have been employed on the basis that they did not have to go outside every day but then suddenly the curriculum changes, I'm not sure how employers can immediately enforce a change to their contract.

But every group should change their existing job descriptions/person specifications to say that going outside is a non-negotiable part of the job!

Maz

We too use donated wellies and donated rain macs, and though we have just ordered sets of those all in one romper-type suits, we'll still be using the donated things as we can't afford to buy or store 75 suits! Staff go out regardless of weather, in the summer one has such bad hayfever her eyes are practically swollen shut and all the children want to know why she's crying, but even she's never refused to go outside.

Karrie

Us too - outside all the time in donated wellies! Since the new EYFS has raised the profile of the outdoor environment, I managed to convince my headteacher to buy myself and my TA a waterproof, fleece-lined coat (with school logo on!) and a pair of wellies each, with the reasoning that they are one of our necessary teaching resources, like whiteboard pens or a computer. (Actually, this was just the wellies, as we obviously both wear coats to school anyway, but she liked the idea of us outside in a school coat!)

Sounds like any excuse to me, I've been taking my children outdoors for 18 years in donated wellies and have never had any problems.

Its the best place to be for children so really they need to think what's important, or look for another job!!

:o

Thanks for all your replies

I have always gone outside long before the new EYFS, however I've only just become chairperson, so I'm sure they'll be a few changes yet.

As stated in my first post I wanted to check before challenging them with regard to outdoors in all weathers.

Our link teacher said we are due an inspection in the near furture, so if I can not yet them out doors then I'm sure OSFTED will.

I will also buy some dettox to ensure that won't stop them and check their job discriptions.

Sam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)