Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Handwriting Schemes Used

I am interested in finding out about the different handwriting schemes that are used in schools, especially for cursive formation. I know there is a Nelson one but what else....I am looking at the different ways that certain letters are formed f, k, j etc. How many schools are now starting cursive in Reception.

I look forward to your replies

Thanks. We have that in school but are introducing cursive this year, which has being going well. I have tried to add a poll here to get an idea what is happening in schools but it does not seem to have come up !

Thanks. We have that in school but are introducing cursive this year, which has being going well. I have tried to add a poll here to get an idea what is happening in schools but it does not seem to have come up !

hi ya i am also really intersted in this as we do not do any handwriting lessons as such- howver i would like to start this!

We don't do handwriting as such in Reception. We have started to introduce cursive letter formation so when we have introduced the letters during Phase 2 we have modelled cursive formation and the children have had opportunities to practice this in many ways - including outside in the chalk and with paint and water and in the sand.

We use continuous cursive where all letters start from the line as it is supposed to be dyslexia frienndly but it can look quite odd as the children get to grips with it. I teach the children to write the letters individually though and we are just about to learn joins more in yr1.

Penpals is a precursive scheme as the children do join quite quickly. Cripps a hand for spelling is another precursive scheme.

Hi, tread carefully with your introduction of 'handwriting schemes.'

I worked in Foundation stage for 6 years before moving to a mixed year 1 / reception class last February.

The year 1 s often do handwriting practise which is frowned upon by our EY advisors and I have been slated totally, first by the EY moderators and then even after reducing the amount of adult led activities/input drastically, for Any, and I mean ANY form of directed handwriting with the Foundation Stage children, from writing for them, writing for them to copy, writing for them to trace over...etc etc... BUT...I still follow the Kingston Cursive script hahaha.... I don't give them handwriting sheets as such, I did...but not now.....maybe in the last term I will.

Has anybody else had 'advice' from the local early years team about handwriting schemes? I'd be very interested and encouraged to hear how others use them.

Good luck!

Maisie

We also do the continuous cursive and start all letters from the line and we have been introducing the formation to those that children that have been ready and we are told that they will join when they are ready - and some are already able to do this.

I think in Reception there is lots of opportunities to introduce letter formation in fun multi sensory ways - chalk, paint, gloop, paint brushes and water etc, so there is not the sit down handwriting lessons that you find further up in schools. I know we have done it like this and those that have the fine motor control have used pencils. It has been amazing how quickly that children who have used the multi sensory techniques have moved on

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)