Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Floor Covering

After one of the children walked all round class yesterday with a piece of home made playdough stuck to his foot, the caretaker and head at my school are not happy. The room was re-carpeted over the summer, then I moved in and caused havoc with sand, dough and glitter. xD

I've tried keeping the dough in the creative area, which has a hard floor, but accidents will happen! I would love to have a more practical surface indoors, but the head thinks it would make the room too noisy. (With Y1/2 in there too, noise levels are always an issue). Maybe a few old washable rugs taped down over the carpet might be the answer - but I still don't think I'd get playdough out of them, either.

Can I just ask what type of floorcovering you have, please, or if not, how on earth I can get this playdough out of dark blue (yuk) ribbed carpet?

Thanks,

Tracylu :o

We have a hard surface that is scattered with rugs. The rugs always get play doh on them (as well as sand, mud, glitter, glue) and I find that once dry it does scrape off. we just ensure that the soft furnishings are cleaned every half term (we have a carpet cleaner that cleans them beautifully).

I think it is nice to have a carpet (for warmth and noise) but the head needs to remember this is children and although nice to keep clean it's just not possible.

Good luck.

Our Site Manager won't let us use rugs or loose floor coverings as they are a Health and Safety hazard :o one of a long list of things she won't let us do!

Our Site Manager won't let us use rugs or loose floor coverings as they are a Health and Safety hazard xD one of a long list of things she won't let us do!

Hasn't she heard of Ikea's anti-slip mesh thingy? Keeps everything in place where it should be! And Ikea rugs have the anti-slip stuff on the back anyway: we've never had a child slip or trip on a rug. Well not yet anyway... :o

I love the sticklebrick idea! Will try that tomorrow - we usually use a knife once the dough has dried and have never had a problem getting it off. For other spodges and stains we find wetwipes invaluable, seem to remove everything!

Thanks everyone - will try the sticklebricks idea on Friday when they've all gone home!

Thanks for the lino tip, too, shiny - I'm sure I've some in my loft leftover from when we had the bathroom done - I'd forgotten it was there.

At least I've got rid of the bales of hay from the "stable" now though, (trodden in hay was one of my many other crimes) and everyone can stop sneezing at last! :o

Edited by Guest

At least I've got rid of the bales of hay from the "stable" now though, (trodden in hay was one of my many other crimes) and everyone can stop sneezing at last! xD

Do you have an awards ceremony at the end of term, tracylu? At least you'd have a couple of candidates for 'spoilsports of the year' :o

Do you have an awards ceremony at the end of term, tracylu? At least you'd have a couple of candidates for 'spoilsports of the year' :o

xD

Absolutely! Quotes of the term? "If I had my way we'd pack all of this stuff away until they can play with it properly!" and "I don't care if they're not ready to sit still on the carpet for half an hour yet - they'll have to get on with it, won't they?"

Absolutely! Quotes of the term? "If I had my way we'd pack all of this stuff away until they can play with it properly!" and "I don't care if they're not ready to sit still on the carpet for half an hour yet - they'll have to get on with it, won't they?"

I'd like to think this is your site controller speaking but something tells me its your HT... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)