Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Paediatric First Aid Course

Hello,

I am an early years practitioner but also train paediatric first aid courses. I am getting ideas for a seminar I am deliver at university. I am researching if and how people think the course could be made more relevant to their needs; whilst covering the Foundation Stage Guidelines.

I would appreciate comments. Suggestions may be about teaching methods, or the subjects covered, or anything else that comes to mind.

I did note a comment posted on the forum about the person having to sit through a repetitive course.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I went on a great first aid course last year. It was run by an ex paramedic who used her experiences to highlight things. Everything she told us was backed by an experinece or by a medical fact and that course has stayed with me better than previous ones.

I didnt know exactly why a baby had to have its head supported. She explained about the windpipe using a straw and a vacumn hose to demonstrate.

She gave us tips she'd picked up during her paramedic job and dispelled fears and concerns with anecdotes and facts.

To make it better for those of us in early years though, we could have done with less on major incidents like factory accidents (wonderful pictures!) and more on what exactly is croup? Can we help while in a nursery setting? What do different rashes look like or are they all the same? How can we help parents to understand colds arent the end of the world? But asthma can be. How can we as professionals help parents to understand that we know what we're talking about when we think a child should be at the GP's or even hospital?

I find at times I'm rummaging around my head for the answers to some things, that maybe I should as a childcare professional, know the answer to. A lot of what I know is from experience as a mom rather than as a firstaider.

I would like to see training on epi-pens included in first aid courses. xD

Allergies and shock are covered, so I can't understand why they can't add the use of these epi-pens. :o

Having completed my 12 hr first aid training, I then had to attend a different 1.5hr long winded course repeating stuff I knew about shock and allergies before being shown how to use the pen. :(

I would like to see training on epi-pens included in first aid courses. xD

Allergies and shock are covered, so I can't understand why they can't add the use of these epi-pens. :o

Having completed my 12 hr first aid training, I then had to attend a different 1.5hr long winded course repeating stuff I knew about shock and allergies before being shown how to use the pen. :(

All we were told about epi-pens is that we cant adminster them without specific epi-pen training, but...you can hold the patients hand around the epi-pen and 'help' them to administer it themselves. In a life and death situation this allows for the meds to be administered but you dont have to hold the pen yourself. Cheating maybe, but better than standing around doing nothing while the poor patient clings to life.

Thankyou for all your comments.

I do train students on my courses how to use the pens but guidelines are that a medical care plan contains the names of staff who are trained specifically for that named child.

I have designed the equivalent of 'story sacks' where I have added props relevant to medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, anaphylaxis and sickle cell anaemia. In each bag there is also written information about the condition. The students in groups then prepare a presentation on their given condition, it might be a poster, spider diagram, it is their choice. I do add in the bags some suggestions of questions they may answer, such as:

Descibe the condition

How might need to adapt your setting for a child with the condition?

What treatment might the child require?

How are the props relevant?

I have had good response from the students, it gives them a break from listening to me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)