Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Making Butter

We are in the middle of 'How can I help you?' topic over view and we've arrived at cows and milking !! We got onto milk products and particularly butter as i had a tub in my shopping bag :o I fancy making some with the children and have been googling as I know you can make it with a jar and cream. I'm now upto speed and we are going to practise at home tomorrow with the handwhisk method. I wondered if anyone had tried this in setting?

OOh i've done it lots of times - you need a lot of patience. I've always used the jamjar as it can get passed about. Remember that you don't get much from your full cream milk!

Oh and you might like to sprinkle a bit of salt in - otherwise it doesn't taste like they expect it to

WOW!!!

Making butter was great success. We used a large bowl, an electric hand whisk and one large tub of double cream (£1:68).Lots of interest from the children.We paused every 30 seconds, runny cream got thicker, formed peeks, started to separate "it looks like scrambled egg" and then ....a split second and LARGE lump of butter in milky liquid. The children washed it until the water was clear (stops it going rancid quickly) and then we had bread and butter while we had a story :( the children DEMANDED more. We buttered a full loaf and still had enough for 3 of us to take a pot home to impress our families xD

What I have learnt

1.Making butter is easy and I will do it again with the children :(

2.I will never buy butter in the supermarket again its expensive :(

3.I will watch for reduced cream in the supermarket to make butter with and then freeze portions (homemade keeps for 3 months)

4. I will avoid cream from now on.!!! :wacko: The amount of pure fat in one small pot of cream :o . A great diet tip to make this and see how much fat is in cream and other milk products

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)