Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Sorry Me Again

I've gone through all the questionnaires received back from the parents and devised this letter, could you let me know if you think it is ok/appropriate etc please?

Responses to January 2009 Questionnaire

Dear Parents,

We have now received back most of the questionnaires, Thank you all so much for filling them in, they have given us lot's to think about.

Firstly, all the staff were very pleased to hear how highly you think of the settings settling in and drop off/collection procedures, and that you are happy with the way we care for your children.

What aspects of the setting you would like to see improved

We have noted the improvements you would like to see, maybe you have noticed a few of these already taking place? Hopefully over the next few months all other improvements will be made that are within our budget.

The purple carpets in the main hall were commented on by a few parents, we have got rid of 2 of these so far but we believe for the children's comfort we do need a large carpeted area still, therefore we are currently getting quotes to replace the remaining 2 carpets and also to obtain some colourful squares of carpet for the quiet corner and for registration time.

Another possible change that was commented on a few times was the outside area, as you know we are currently fund-raising for a canopy, we are also in the middle of applying for grants for this – at a cost of £23,000 this isn't going to happen overnight but we are working on it. The Orange fencing outside is adequate but not really ideal, we have been told by the village hall committee that they will provide us with a permanent fence to enclose the whole of the back grassed area – we just need to wait on the committee to implement this change.

What you would like to see us do more of

The main thing parents wanted to see more of were more sessions to include lunchtimes. We have debated over this one and decided that from after the Easter holidays we will trial opening on Monday's until 1pm, Priority for this session will be given to funded children who already attend on a Monday. However to cover staffing costs there will be a charge for the extra hour, the cost will have to be decided on once we know how many staff will be required, and this depends on how many children will be staying on. If your child attends on a Monday session please could you speak to *** or ****to let them know if you will want your child to stay for the lunchtime session or not.

Parents would also like to see more structured activities in the sessions, we do now have available every day pencil control sheets and a member of staff spends time each day with the children helping with those and also scissor skills etc – this is not something the children have to do by any means, it is just there if they want to.

More feedback on your child's achievements and what we have done during the session was also asked for. We have recently implemented a system whereby we post on the doors what has taken place during each session, ***** has also started displaying her weekly planning sheets in the main foyer so you can see exactly what is planned for the coming week – this is not set in stone though, if the children show an interest in something else then this may well be changed.

We have also started giving the children postcards with details of what they have achieved and a sticker to bring home if they have achieved a milestone or been kind/shared etc during the session, the children have reacted well to this but we have explained that not every child will get one during every session – we will however make sure that everyone does get one at some point in the term.

More healthy snacks is what some parents also wanted to see, This is definitely now happening. With huge thanks to you all for donating fruit and vegetables, We are extremely pleased to say that the children have tried and eaten fruit every single day of the term so far, even the children who have point blank said they will not eat fruit, have tried and enjoyed it.

What you would like to see us do less of

It was brought to our attention by a couple of parent's that their child's progress, and if their child had misbehaved, was being discussed with them in front of other parent's by a member of staff. This should definitely never have happened and it will never happen again, we apologise for this.

Some of you would like to see less incident/accident forms for minor things – so would we ! - But unfortunately it is a statutory requirement that we record any accidents or incidents that happen to the children.

Your views on the Key Person role

I am very happy to say that almost all of you knew who your child's key person was, hopefully by now 100% of you do.

The amount of contact you have with your child's Key Person and updates on your child's progress was something most of you would like to see improved. All staff are happy to talk to you about your child at a time convenient to us both, whether that means talking at the beginning or end of a session or for you to come in during a session is up to you so please do ask. Your child's learning stories are on the premises and available for you to see at all times. The staff have spoken about, and will start implementing appointment days where we can set aside time for you to come in and view your child's learning story during a session and ask any questions you may have about your child.

Would you like to see a parent rota in place or to help behind the scenes

The majority of parents would like to spend time helping in a Pre-School session, we are in the process of devising a rota that you can write your name down to volunteer on, when you come in it would be nice to give you a focussed activity such as laptop work, cutting out with the children, practising life skills etc. Once you have told us when you will be volunteering you will be given a copy of our confidentiality, safeguarding children, behaviour management and health and safety policies to read and sign to say you will abide by them. We really do foster total confidentiality within Pre-School and this must be strongly adhered to when volunteering.

We very much look forward to working alongside you and welcoming you to see how the sessions run day to day.

Lot's of parents have said they would like to help behind the scenes, this could range from cutting out ready for activities to running a stall at open days etc. None of the staff feel comfortable asking parents to help with things so if ever you are at a loose end we are more than happy for you to ask if anything needs doing! If any parents have any ideas for fund-raising whether it be an event or raffle etc then please speak to a member of staff, we are totally self funded so we are always looking for ways to make some money to enhance the setting.

Pre-School contact details

A note from ********

On a personal note, I would just like to Thank you all for the support and good wishes I have received since stepping in to *****'s shoes, it is hugely encouraging to know that I am working in the right direction, I couldn't however do any part of the job without the excellent staff team we have at the Pre-School, we're a very close team and we are all very enthusiastic about the job we do in looking after the children we have with us.

We also hope that we are all approachable so please, if ever you have any worries or concerns please do come and speak to us, we always make sure that at least one of us is available at all times. Likewise, if you ever think there is something we are doing well, please do let us know that too.

Yes, sounds good to me - my only comment would be that 'lots' is a plural, not an abbreviation so therefore doesn't need an apostrophe

Oh and my English Grammar lecturer would comment that you start with 'firstly', but that there is no 'secondly', 'thirdly' etc. But she was a bit pedantic like that - probably where I get it from

A well written response, your replying quickly to the questionaire and addressing their concerns promptly.

I wish we could have had some of your parents when I worked in a pre-school - we could never get any helpers during sessions!

Sue :o

Strangely, the only time we've had loads of parent helpers is when the Fire Brigade come in xD !

Karrie

It's one of my soapboxes I'm afraid :o

I blame my very grammatically zealous father and Mrs Tallentire from school. Dad used to be furious with newsreaders who insisted on 'centres around' rather than 'centres upon' as the centre is the middle, not the circumference. My pet hate is apostrophes where they are not meant to be and the wrong 'their, there' and 'where, were we're' etc. Oh and 'could of, should of' instead of 'could have, should have' But hey - we all have something that niggles us - perhaps that could be a new thread!

It's one of my soapboxes I'm afraid :o

I blame my very grammatically zealous father and Mrs Tallentire from school. Dad used to be furious with newsreaders who insisted on 'centres around' rather than 'centres upon' as the centre is the middle, not the circumference. My pet hate is apostrophes where they are not meant to be and the wrong 'their, there' and 'where, were we're' etc. Oh and 'could of, should of' instead of 'could have, should have' But hey - we all have something that niggles us - perhaps that could be a new thread!

ohww ...I'm frightened to reply to any posts now!!!!

xxx

ohww ...I'm frightened to reply to any posts now!!!!

Don't be: just be sure to pick her up on her own errors - even the most pedantic of us make them at some point!

The greengrocer's apostrophe is one of my pet hates too - but I would never pick someone up on them unless specifically asked to comment on their grammar! :o

mrsbat: I really like your letter - it makes you seem approachable and friendly (and I'm sure you are!), and says very clearly that you have listened to parents and really taken on board their views and feelings about their child's pre-school.

I'm sure Mrs Ofsted will love it, and that you have generated lots of evidence for your SEF!

Well done

Maz

Don't be: just be sure to pick her up on her own errors - even the most pedantic of us make them at some point!

The greengrocer's apostrophe is one of my pet hates too - but I would never pick someone up on them unless specifically asked to comment on their grammar! :o

mrsbat: I really like your letter - it makes you seem approachable and friendly (and I'm sure you are!), and says very clearly that you have listened to parents and really taken on board their views and feelings about their child's pre-school.

I'm sure Mrs Ofsted will love it, and that you have generated lots of evidence for your SEF!

Well done

Maz

I consider myself suitably chastened and will never respond to someone's request for my input into their posts again xD

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this Mrs Bat, I think your letter is wonderful and parents and children very lucky to have you! A lot of good ideas I think. I particularly like the way you dealt with parents requests to know more about what happened in each session - with copies of planning sheets - a board showing what you all did and a postcard and sticker for children that did anything note worthy. At our session we have to fill in a sheet on each child for each session with everything they did including what they ate. This leads to very little time to spend with the children as you can imagine :o

I think your letter seems really good. I had been wondering how to feedback on my parent questionnaire and your idea is so simple I clearly overlooked that! Blame it on everything else I am not finishing at the moment. Thanks for the inspiration.

Well done - your parents are very lucky to have someone so willing to communicate freely and take on board suggestions and comments in a professional way. The only thing I would say is don't use the term 'hopefully'! My husband always says this sounds really woolly - if you intend to do it then say so and strive to make it happen. :o

The only thing I would say is don't use the term 'hopefully'! My husband always says this sounds really woolly - if you intend to do it then say so and strive to make it happen. :o

Good point Beau! A bit of positivity always helps - shows you're starting off with success in mind. It sounds to me as if this has been a really worthwhile venture, mrsbat. We can all learn something from your reflective skills and your willingness to take constructive feedback and react positively to it. xD

Maz

I echo all positive comments, good feedback to parents covering their comments clearly. I'd just like to suggest that as parents have voiced they are willing, able and interested in helping that the staff summon up a bit of assertive courage and ask. Or maybe you could put a sheet up next to the parent rota listing helpful tasks, ie: cutting out, dressing up clothes laundy, repairs needed etc, etc, with a blank space next to it for parents who are willing to help, to place their names on. :o Maybe make this and your parent rota sign using laminated notices then parents can write names using dry markers then as and when required to change, names can be wiped off and you won't have to keep re-printing the signs.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)