Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

How Much Have We Learnt This Term?

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

Guest Tracey F

OK I will try to explain - I have parents evenings this coming week and I was trying to formulate a sheet that would make the parents reflect on all the things their children have needed to learn just to be part of school. To try to get them to realise that things 'on paper' are only a very small part of the children's learning. I have made the attached list, but I'm sure I have missed a few things out... help!

Fingers crossed the attachment thing works :o

During_this_first_half_term_in_school.doc

What about whether the children have settled in well and whether they are happy in class? Those would be the two most important aspects I would want to know about first as a parent.

the list seems comprehensive enough to me - 10/10

and yes the attachment works - 10/10

Guest Tracey F

Oh I'm not sure if you have understood me... as far as I am concerned... my job for this half term is to make sure that the children are happy, and that they want to come to school, anything over and above that is a bonus :D and that is what I shall be saying to the parents at the start, and we will discuss this first and foremost but... I just wanted to show the parents how much 'invisible' learning goes on.... I just know some of them are going to query why little johnny hasn't written a 4 page essay yet, or read War and Peace ... Oh I'm not explaining myself very well :o that's what comes of working on a sunday morning xD

don't worry about it Tracey - when posting on forum I think you have to be very specific so that there are no misunderstandings. It's a mistake we all make from time to time.

Oh I understand, somewhere in the forum i have posted a sheet that list al the things chidlren do everyday in school and the EGS- learning that takes lace even before you do the planned learning. It lists things like- finding coat peg, dressing/undressing/taking turns/playing with friends, etc etc. Perhaps that would give u and overview of the informal learnign that really does take place.

Hi Tracey,

It's a good list, well done! Also an extremely sound idea; my own children go to a school where several reception children are reading novels on arrival, and it's often their parents who don't realise all the other learning (not least of all social learning) that the children need to take on board. I think you've covered most things; the only thing I could come up with is something about being brave, eg having the self-confidence to even walk into the school/classroom in the first place, initiate conversations with adults and peers, and learning to respond appropriately if they are spoken to. The bravery aspect is particularly relevant at specific times of day, eg assembly, playtime and lunchtime, isn't it?

Hope this helps :)

Guest Tracey F

Thanks Leo - I'll have a trawl round!

Helen - you're right of course, and I shall add something in! And then there are daily routines, and weekly routines, and coping with 'different' things like school photographs!

This is a very good list Tracey. :) I agree with Helen about the bravery bit. One of my daughters has just started school and the biggest trauma for her has been having to approach the teachers and other children to ask for help etc. Also, remembering instructions the teacher has given and passing the information on at home. This has led to some amusement for us trying to decipher what she has actually been told from her own interpretation of events. :o Just one thing - what on earth is the Narthex??

Guest Tracey F

Oh that... we are a Catholic school, originally run by nuns, and much of the school building started off as a convent. The Narthex is the old chapel, which now has a screen across the altar part, so that we can use it as a second, smaller hall for everyday use, but still draw the screen doors back to access the altar for certain services. I have to confess I'm not really sure of the origins of why it's called the Narthex though....

it just is! :o

Hi Tracey, puts it all into perspective when you list it like that, doesnt it!

You've been very busy too!

I agree about the bravery bit, its a very important part of the settling and learning routines and could be summoned up by 'learning how to interact in a variety of differnt ways and in different situations and with different people.'

Tracey

I think your list is very comprehensive and what a lot they have had to learn in such a short time!! I think it's a brilliant idea to show parents those "little" things that add up to so much learning. I am going to adapt your idea to use in pre-school when the children have settled, perhaps at the end of their first full term.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)