Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Photo Observations

:oCould anyone please let me know how they are getting on using photos as evidence in observations, and have you got any examples of the forms you use with them?

I have made up an adult-ld activity sheet which we are currently using with the photos.

I am happy to share these if anyone interested.

Thanks Angie xD:(:o

Not quite sure what you mean. We take photographs of children engaged in things, and of WOW moments, and sometimes children take their own pictures. These are printed out and put into their learning journey and annotated with some suitable phraseology. We don't have specific forms to go with them

No we don't have separate forms either, though I have seen a fab form used by childminders in our area when they are recording a planned observation of an adult led activity. If I can get hold of a copy I'll attach it.

Edited by Wolfie

We use them to support evidence records (stuck to the back for visual obs-annotated).....and for albums and in their end of year books. :oxD

Hi there,

any photos we use are stuck straight into the learning journey. We then date it, add a quote or statement about what is happening and link it to one maybe two areas of the eyfs.

We don't do much more as there isn't time in the day!

Our learning journeys look really funny as the children have stuck in leaves, pictures they have made, stones, shiny things from a treasure hunt etc - they don't stand up in a bookcase anymore and the parents come in and have a look regularly too!

spiral.

We don't aim as such - quite ofter we'll see a child just doing something that looks interesting and that is hard to explain in words - so we just click - however, we can't afford to print out too much.

Hence we also print onto ordinary paper - that way if the printer runs out of ink or its a blurry photo you aren't wasting too many rescorces!

I think planning to put in a certain amount could be tricky and I'd expect some of my staff to panic and take some shots which don't inform them about the activitiy and child's abilities.

Spiral :o

Hi there,

We print out those tiny photos (contact sheets) and put them into our Local Authority suggested colour-coded hexagon boxes and observation sheets in ring binder folders. More space that way, although sometimes difficult to be completely sure you have the right child - joking! We annotate, date (and in the relevant hexagon) and write PLODs where applicable. Also suggested we cross reference with other ELG areas. The original learning journey A4 size exercise books we now use for free drawing, sticking, emergent writing and so on as the children wish.

Lesley :o

Can I ask how many photo obs do you aim to put in the childrens learning journeys each term?

x

We are doing 4 photos per term for each child. These we annotate with the area of learning and a little bit about the actual activity.

Any incidental photos we place on an A4 sheet which we call the 'photo gallery' and these just have a short caption to describe the context.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)