Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Average Hourly Rate

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what the average pay is for those working in preschool settings in the PVI sector. All of our key staff are qualified to DPP level 3; each holds an officer position eg CP, SENco, ENCO, H & S; and all are paid extra to cover doing learning journeys, but this is incorporated into their salary as is 4 weeks paid holiday.

I think theyare paid well and expect each learning journey to take no more than 20 minutes to complete. Each staff member has 12 key children and I have asked they have at least 4 learning journeys up to now from september. Am I asking too much?

How much work do you expect your staff to do in their own time? We do planning int he mornings before the session starts; I have collated the childrens targets (from staff ljs & obs & my own) into plans for the term; I have provided a display of continuous provison for the staff to refer to, linked to the EYFs. I ask the staff to think of key activities they would like to incorporate into the sessions & suppport them as much as I can with their ljs, they're not asked to do anything else at home.

We seem to have some unrest in the ranks, any ideas anyone?

Sam

hi - my staff are quite well paid (not enough but compared to other pre schools in the area!).

they plan thier keygroups each week plus a craft, complete 2 long obs (sally Thomas type)and a cooking activity, home corner each term (talking 6 terms in a year here) and learning journey 3 x per year.

hope that helps :o

our staff got 6.50 for level 3 with similar responsibilities as yours.. divided out between all staff..including activities etc...

we were paid 1 hour a week for learning journeys, where we had to go in and do them in the setting, either before or after a shift or on a day off.... if we did not come in or do them it was deducted from that months pay! we were expected to keep all of our files up to date, each week, once set up it only took about 5 mins each book, occasionally longer but not often , it became a routine which we all found easier as we could ask other staff about the children if we needed to.

Planning was done while putting out and setting away...amazing how much can be discussed while moving furniture around!

Holiday pay is currently 4.8 weeks but for part time this is calculated for weeks worked I believe..we always got the minimum even though part time... this goes up in April to 5.6 weeks I think.. not doing it any more so cannot completely remember... i also believe it is not supposed to be rolled up but paid when taken.....

we would have liked to pay more but we were dictated by the level of funding we received. with all other costs and increases in holiday entitlement, etc we could not afford more.. but all staff were very aware of this and understood it really was not our budgeting causing the problem, but income not rising same as expenditure which is all set by the government.

we did though at the end of each financial year look at the account and if we could afford to gave a bonus in August,to try to offset any work done at home, we used to have any hours jotted down so we could calculate a suitable amount depending on work done... but we all knew that it was only possible if funds were available.

Inge

Speaking as the owner of a pre-school it would be almost impossible to have a pay scale as income varies so widely from setting to setting. My staff are on a reasonable rate compared to others, but not enough in my opinion. My deputy is on £7.50 an hour and all others on £6.50. I pay what I can afford. If there is some money available I pay a bonus at Christmas and in the summer. I can't always do this and staff are perfectly accepting of the situation. I can't give them a pay rise as I don't know if it would be sustainable.

I work in the setting and do most of the paper work at home. If the group is low on funding then it is me, as the owner, who doesn't get paid. Sad fact of life but I have learned to live with it-it doesn't happen often thankfully.

Linda

Hi when I worked in pre-school the supervisor was on £8.54, the deputy £7.87 and level 2's £7.25 unqulified's at £6.50. However we didnt get paid for training, cleaning days, updating records, attending xmas parties etc etc. And got a token sum for attending planning meetings.

I now work in a CC and it is sooo very different!!!!

weeeellllllllllll.... the pay rates are based on local authority pay scales plus you get paid overtime, paid training days, paid for any work you do at home and milage if you need to travel etc etc and basically they are much higher!! Its quite a culture shock for me after years in a charity run pre-school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)