Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Teaching Addition To Reception

Hi,

Hoping you can help as my ideas for a lesson observation don't seem to be coming together as easily as I thought they would.

Teaching adding as a whole class input - going to use 'The lighthouse keepers lunch' as focus and a basket of food as all linked to our topic which the children are really enjoying!

Need a fun whole class input that involves teaching to add by combining two groups.

Also wondering if I should go on and extend this by teaching how to write this as a number sentence e.g. 4 cakes add 3 cakes is 7 cakes and writing with the + and = so I can then see if anyone takes this learning on for themselves or if this may be too much. I have chn who will understand this and I plan on letting my HA group explore this in my directed activity as I will be working with my HA.

HAve lots of ideas for ci opps and setting the indoor/outdoor area with PSRN - rich opportunities but just struggling with main teaching and making it "exciting" and inspiring!!!

Any help greatly appreciated x :o

Good luck with it.

Just a quick note on using the correct maths symbols. I have been doing that with my Reception. I have found it doesn't confuse those who don't understand. I have a group who love the symbols, and use them in independent play (though not always correctly!) If you think some will benefit, then give it a go.

I introduced symbols last week, and they seemed to understand.

It was done as, adding one more, collecting leaves, flowers in a vase, animals is a pool.

All good fun, and they went on to write the symbols in their own play :o

Also wondering if I should go on and extend this by teaching how to write this as a number sentence e.g. 4 cakes add 3 cakes is 7 cakes and writing with the + and = so I can then see if anyone takes this learning on for themselves or if this may be too much. I have chn who will understand this and I plan on letting my HA group explore this in my directed activity as I will be working with my HA.

Have you considered just letting the children record in their own way their workings out - it can really show their understanding of the concept. HAve a lok at the articles on mathematics - there's 2 here .

Cx

I think children should be encouraged to record for themselves using pictures and marks and not formal notation- allows you to see what they are thinking and assess their understnading- also helps when they do more complex maths as they have some understanding of showing their workings.

I have really tried hard this year with using pictures to recor and have found some children will use the + sign independently- but the way they discuss what they have found out is much better.

L

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)