Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

We Were Pulled Up On Not Having Emergancy Cover Sorted

The inspector today asked what would happen if a member of staff was ill suddenly, I was fine explaining that but then she asked what if the staff member was a level 3 (we only have 2 level 3's and we have 2 rooms)

I explained to her that I had spoken to ofsted about it and they had said that in an emergency the staff member working towards a level 3 could take their place - well the inspector wasn't happy with this and said we need an action plan written down, I said I would do one tonight to show her tomorrow.

well my brain is slightly shot to bits so i can't get the right words down on paper, can you tell me what you think of this please?

Our setting is run from 2 rooms, the main hall can have a maximum of 26 children at a time

Emergency staff cover action plan

*In the event that a member of staff needs to immediately leave the setting this is what we would do:

We always have one extra member of staff present, so we would adjust staffing ratio's to make sure that all children are cared for to the highest standard – making sure there is a minimum of 3 staff in the Barclay room (1:4) and a minimum of 4 staff in the main hall (1:8)

We would ring a staff member from our emergency staff cover list.

*If the staff member leaving the setting is a level 3 we will take the following action:

Immediately ring one of our level 3 emergency staff cover members to see if they can come in.

Decide if it is safer to keep the younger children in the smaller room or to merge them in with the children from the main hall.

If it is safer to keep the children in seperate rooms, the remaining level 3 staff member will be deployed to the main hall and *(staff working towards level 3)* will remain in charge in the smaller room. When a level 3 member arrives they will be deployed to the Barclay room.

If neither of the level 3 contacts are able to come to the setting we will notify ofsted and take their advice.

If needs be then we will ring the parents of children in the Barclay room to come and pick the children up as soon as possible.

I'm a bit confused as I thought it was the manager who had to have a minimum of level 3 and then assistants - 50% level 2 or above. So are they saying that room leaders need level 3 aswell as this is not what EYFS says??? So was the inspector saying that the person who would step up had to be level 3 as well? Seems a bit harsh to me if you had already spoken to OFSTED about this. Your emergency plan looks fine though!

I'm a bit confused as I thought it was the manager who had to have a minimum of level 3 and then assistants - 50% level 2 or above. So are they saying that room leaders need level 3 aswell as this is not what EYFS says??? So was the inspector saying that the person who would step up had to be level 3 as well? Seems a bit harsh to me if you had already spoken to OFSTED about this. Your emergency plan looks fine though!

there has to be a level 3 in each room - which is fine as we do have this. But she said if one of those level 3's had to leave in an emergency we would need another level 3 to step in, if you see what I mean :o

she was saying that deputy's need to have a level 3 as well because they are basically there to step in if the supervisor isn't there

Please don't feel bad - I have an avalanche of questions building up to ask on various topics!

Your question has raised an interesting point for me though. We operate out of a large hall with small side rooms. For some of the session some of the children work in the side rooms with a member of staff. Now these rooms are directly off the main room, (open-the-door-and-shout-for-us-directly), but one member of staff in a side room currently is unqualified. We have always worked this way and our staff rotate with their key children whenever possible so we have had unqualified staff in there before too. No one has ever mentioned this before and I am now wondering if Ofsted would pull us up about it. I should add that the unqualified member of staff has been fully supported in delivering activities in the room and is more than capable.

Over to you.....

Hmmmm, can of worms opened here?

Yes, big fat juicy ones! Again it probably depends who you talk to - but Ofsted are likely to be the sole arbiter of what is acceptable or not. Ask the question and get the answer in writing! :o

Maz

Please don't feel bad - I have an avalanche of questions building up to ask on various topics!

Your question has raised an interesting point for me though. We operate out of a large hall with small side rooms. For some of the session some of the children work in the side rooms with a member of staff. Now these rooms are directly off the main room, (open-the-door-and-shout-for-us-directly), but one member of staff in a side room currently is unqualified. We have always worked this way and our staff rotate with their key children whenever possible so we have had unqualified staff in there before too. No one has ever mentioned this before and I am now wondering if Ofsted would pull us up about it. I should add that the unqualified member of staff has been fully supported in delivering activities in the room and is more than capable.

Over to you.....

Oh my god Holly! If this is the case not sure what we would do. 2 NVQ3 qualified staff (upervisor/deputy)and myself (in training) but we potentially have 3 rooms to cover ie toilets, main hall, outside area. Also we split story into small and big children in different rooms ...glass door??!! So I am alone with the children. Surely it would man that everyone would have to be qualified?!! Anyone dare find out???!! Could be out of a job at this rate!

Oh for a nice consistent set of guidelines consistently applied by Ofsted and local authorities. I have decided that I don't think we can panic about this as we can't do anything about it at the moment. Also as I say no one has questioned it on previous inspections. Advisory teacher is visiting me next week so I might bring it up with her before emailing Ofsted as she can see the room layout. Will let you all know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)