Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letter Formation Rhymes

I am going to have a massive push after half term on correct letter formation. I have put the letters into the caterpillar, long ladder, one armed robot and zig-zag monter families and will make some sort of display to show them in the classroom.

My class enjoy rhymes and I know that there is a mnemonic for each letter that you can say when writing the letters. Does anyone have a list of these they can share??

I am going to have a massive push after half term on correct letter formation. I have put the letters into the caterpillar, long ladder, one armed robot and zig-zag monter families and will make some sort of display to show them in the classroom.

My class enjoy rhymes and I know that there is a mnemonic for each letter that you can say when writing the letters. Does anyone have a list of these they can share??

can i ask what are the caterpillar, long ladder one armed robot and zig zag monster families?

They are grouped according to where the letters start/how they are formed. So curly caterpillars are c o a g q d s f. You can put e in here because it curls. Long ladder letters are l i t u j y. Zig-zag monsters w v z x and one armed robot letters are r b n h m k p.

Yoy can get posters with the letters on and the caterpillar going round the letters.

I hope this makes sense.

c – start at the top… come round… and stop.

a- start as if it was c for cat.. come back up like an acrobat… down to the ground … and flick.

o – start as if it was c for cat… but make an orange just like that.

d - start as if it was c for cat… come back up like an acrobat… now climb back up the dinosaur’s neck… slide back down to his foot and flick.

g- start as if it was c for cat… come back up like an acrobat…slide underground.. and curl back round.

q- start as if it was c for cat… come back up like an acrobat… slide quickly quietly underground…. And flick (and never do a q without a u)

s start as if for a cat all curly… but halfway down you come back early … and curl back round for a snake on the ground.

e take the elephant to the exit....back over the top... round and stop!

f a backwards flip...fall underground... curl back round...and cross.

l start at the top for l… straight down… flick and all is well.

i straight down like a stick… and flick….don’t forget the dot.

t take it from the top slide to the ground and flick…and cross it quick.

u start like i.. like a stick… under up..down and flick.

y do a u…slide underground… and curl back round.

j start like i like a stick.. slip underground..curl back round…and dot it!

r- down to the ground.. back up and round……rrrrrr.

n- down … up… round … down to the ground.. and flick.

m- start like an n…. up and round again…. and flick.

p – go down underground… back up.. and round … and curl back.

h – start high up and hurry down… go halfway back and hurry round… hot the ground and flick.

k – start high up and hurry down… go halfway back, then halfway round… curl back to the stick… and kick.

b- start at the top of the bat… come down to the ground like that… go halfway up.. over and round… to make a ball lying on the ground.

v slant down to the ground and slant up in the air .

w … down up down up .

x slant down to the ground...lift your pen... up in the air...cross back again.

z zoom forward...zigzagging back...zoom again

• Like 1

Hi not sure if this is what you are after - I made these up for my children and set them home as we addressed each set of letters in letters and sounds. we always start at the top and go anti-clockwise around the circle - its a terror slide becuase it goes straight down - the children love them and so do the parents hope the attachement works if not let me know

enjoy g

how_to_form_letters.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)