Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

More Beginner's Advice Please - Setting Up Space

Hi again,

I got some great advice on my thread yesterday, so I have another question if you don't mind.

Our pre-school runs 4 mornings a week in the Parish Hall, which means the staff have to put out and take down equipment each day. From my meeting with the leader yesterday, I gather that this takes up a substantial amount of time for them, as they are putting out something to cover each area of the continuous provision thingy, i.e. sand, water, paints, climbing frame, role play, play dough, kitchen, etc. etc.

My question is, would it be okay if one week they only put out say 4 or 5 of the areas, then the next week they covered the others? That way they could spend (waste?) less of their time doing set up and take down, and spend more of it focusing on the children at the start and end of the day.

Sue.

hi

I'm not in a pack away setting so this isn't something that affects me. But ... how about putting it all up for a week and then asking the children what they want for the next week and how they want it set up and with what bits added on (they might want to have the water out with the Happy land track for example so that they can make a dockyard)? That way you'll be offering continuous provision and letting the children inform your planning (2 birds one stone ha ha!)

In fact, I might do this myself! I like it!

I worked in put way settings for many years....

big trick is to have as much on wheels that you can, but this takes time and money to achieve....

we did set up majority each day,

we did occasionally not set up some items , role play was one, but we always ensured we had role play in miniature with dolls houses/cars on those days.

Sand and water we sometimes alternated in one group as we did not have room for both each day...equipment to use for these was in a veg trolley on wheels

paint was often included in creative /craft area and not set up separately again items were on a trolley all together on wheels

dressing up we alternated with dolls clothes

other items we gradually replaced to make it quicker for staff...

tables became round ones , we could roll them to move them and put away

some we decided as musts every session, mark making, book/quiet corner playdough, craft, sand/water etc.

It is not easy moving stuff around every day , but it can focus you into thinking about how you set up, changing things, often, and while hard work can have advantages.

Inge

Thanks for your answers, I really like the idea of asking the children what they'd like to see set out the following week.

Unfortunately, the setting up each day seems to be exactly the same, perhaps I could gently suggest that we could think about adapting things each day or week at least. It's easy to get into certain habits and then fail to challenge yourself about why you're doing things that way, I guess.

Thanks again.

Sue.

we used to do observations of areas.. how is it used?, how often? what is used in it? is it in correct place, and then what can we do to improve it.

some days we only put the tables and minimum out and children then had to ask for what they wanted....

Think if children are choosing it needs to be immediate.. they will often have decided on something else by the time it is due out.

Inge

Hi - we get everything out our two old sheds everyday ie all reas of learning, however, from our observations if we know fred likes to play with the cars we will ensure they are out next time he comes in - or we may go and get out an activity because of children's interest - it is hard work and you certainly don't need to go to a gym, but dealing with different age ranges as we do it is important that the water is out every day expecially for our little ones. You certainly need to have an enviornment that changes - our does every day through observations of the children.

we are in a church hall and i arrive at 7.15 to set up and finish by 8.45!

i dont need the gym either

we always set up areas

computer

role play

book area

cozy area

construction

mark making in all areas

waterplaydough or messy

craft area

mathematical

o yes and the garden - which staff do when they`arrive

i also put up number and time lines and other laminates eg kitchen,toilet,garden etc

we also have choice for our children on a choosing board

we use or obs to plan in for individual children too

i think all areas need to be out BUT no one unless they have done it fully understand how hard it can be to work in a pack away

You spend 1 1/2 hours a day setting up! Do you get paid for it? We are in a church hall too and have to set up 3 or 4 times a week but it only takes 2 of us 20 minutes to get out the basics and I reckon we cover all areas. Then we have time to set up our focused activities for the day with the other staff member when she arrives.

hi we set up everyday, 3 staff takes us 20 mins. what we do is plan every week, we know then each day what is going out. we cover all of the DOS. at 10.40 children will help pack away then when children sitting down at story/circle time one of the staff will put all items in cupboard. 1 member of staff will set up snack area when that is done children wil wash hands and sit down for snack time. after snack time one member of staff will take children to wash hands, sit back down sing rymnes. one staff will clean snack area while one member will set up bycycles, slides,tunnels etc.

hope this helps

ali

Hi

We are a setup/put away setting. We have 3 members of staff come in 7.45 am to set up...easel, creative table, role play, small world, water tray, snack table, book corner, small world, construction, maths table puzzles, prepare snack, outside equipment out incl sand tray, stick millions of laminated pictures and notices up (to convert a boring ole WI hut into something special), parent notices up, parent info table out, toilet seats and steps, risk assessments etc etc.

Staff are getting fed up with the tidying tho as it is starting to encroach on the childrens time. We did used to start at 11 am (finish session at 11.30) and the children help us for approx 5 mins. Then while 2 members of staff do song time and storytime (has to be split as recommnded by OFSTED due to age diff) then 1 staff runs around like the clappers putting it all away, cleaning the paints, toilets etc. Hoovering is done after the children have gone have gone home or to lucnh club (with 2 staff). Howver, we are not getting it all finished in time for 1 staff to leave by 12. I always stay until at least 12.30 and have claimed for extra time. Now they are saying that we are claiming too much in wages. So do we have to tidy up earlier or do we do it and not claim?

Could you ask the children each day what they want out tomorrow - to involve them in their own planning and learning?

Thats exacty what we do. At the end of the session we give the children laminated pictures of our equipment and they get to choose 5 activities for the next session. We then plan around that (all very last minute tho!)

Hi - we are based in a very 'tired' village hall and the trustees are not too receptive to children! Everything has to be got out in the mornings and put away at the end of each session. We are not allowed to put anything up on the walls so this is also done on a daily basis.

We have a local retired gentleman who comes in each morning for an hour who turns on the ceiling heaters, sets up the screens, tables, chairs, bean bags and rugs along with larger items of play such as kitchen and workbench! Myself and another member of staff arrive at 8.30 and another two staff at 8.45 and discuss what to get out, depending on the children's interests who are coming into pre-school that day, bearing in mind continuous provision too.

We have a very flexible approach to each session and have a staff rota to ensure all staff are involved in reading stories, snack, crafts, tidying up etc. Children's behaviour has certainly changed for the better since we implemented the EYFS to our setting by following their choices rather than our own. Getting the children to tidy up with 'sticker' incentives seems to work very well with us.

We also have two 'kitchen Queens' who are lovely retired ladies who job share. They prepare the children's snack, make the staff their drinks and wash up paint pots, brushes etc. The pre-school has been operating since 1974 (although I must say I haven't been there that long :o

Dottyp

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)