Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Psrn Scale Point 8

Has anyone got any good ideas for child initiated activities which will enable me to assess PSRN Scale point 8 in NLC, CAL and SSM. I need some inspiration!

i hate these points they are so airy fairy to be honest i tend to see them best in child initiated play and they tend to happens spontaneously when i am focusing on another area of maths

This week, one of my children asked if she could put the bowls on the tables for break, and she had to put the correct amount of chairs to match the bowls.

Took her a while to sort it out, as there was a different amount of chairs around each table, and the amount of bowls didn't match the amount of chairs.

She got there in the end, but I thought it was a definate point 8 moment.

But I agree, they are often spontaneous.

jackie.

Technically from an eyfsp perspective if you are setting up the activities they are not child initiated/ independent application of skills and wouldn't provide very secure evidence. The example given is a good one of having what you are looking for clear in your own mind so you can recognise it when it occurs - and it can occur in very un-mathematical biased activities!

CX

I agree catma. What I try to do is ensure that whatever I have done in my small group time I then make sure the resources are around and if the children use these or a similar idea at child initiated time then I can see they are beginning to acquire these skills.

There is an old exemplification file here http://www.aaia.org.uk/pdf/Publications/Po...%20and%20PD.pdf that may give you some good ideas.

We have been using Helen MacGregors Tom thumbs Musical maths and my children love it and I will often see them singing and playing the songs during child initiated.

A friend who is a moderator has just sent me through some info on linking scale points and given the conversation here I thought this may be worth sharing 'NLC 8, C8 and SSM 8 are all linked to LCT'

It is no real surprise but it may help when planning for your environment to think of resources that will enhance LCT and then the PSRN may come through serendipidy!

Just had our moderation cluster meeting on Friday; for SSM 8 the example given was a little girl building a giant's castle out of lego while her friends were making the beanstalk with numbered leaves that needed placing alternately so that Jack could climb easily - not sure if it's a national DVD clip that's doing the rounds, or just one from Lancashire.

For NLC 8 on our table the examples agreed were a child setting the table and sharing out food equally for a group of friends for a birthday tea.

Saw a lovely idea that a colleague in another school had done for ordering numbers using birthday cards with 1,2,3 etc. on them.

Just had our moderation cluster meeting on Friday; for SSM 8 the example given was a little girl building a giant's castle out of lego while her friends were making the beanstalk with numbered leaves that needed placing alternately so that Jack could climb easily - not sure if it's a national DVD clip that's doing the rounds, or just one from Lancashire.

For NLC 8 on our table the examples agreed were a child setting the table and sharing out food equally for a group of friends for a birthday tea.

Saw a lovely idea that a colleague in another school had done for ordering numbers using birthday cards with 1,2,3 etc. on them.

The Beanstalk clip is definitely from the NAA website as we had it at a staff meeting with the EY advisor. There's quite a lot of different clips which are quite useful.

Here's the link - http://www.naa.org.uk/naa_19382.aspx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)