Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observations

I am going to be observed on Monday morning and have never slept. I get so worried and loose any self confidence. I hate that horrible feeling. Has anyone got any tips how to deal with these feelings before I make a total mess of everything. Sometimes I'm fine in these situations, feeling particularly low at moment for various reasons.

Poor you - I'm sorry to hear you're feeling low at the moment. It is stressful being observed and worrying that you're liable not to 'perform' to your usual high standards is not likely to help you stay calm. I've never used it myself, but have you tried Rescue Remedy - a friend swears by it! You can get it in a spray, or a lozenge which you can suck.

Hope you get some better advice soon! :o

Maz

Hi,

Rescue remedy can be bought in Boots or have seen it in health food shops. It does work as have used it myself and with both my daughters when they were very worried about something. Hope your observation goes ok and that you get some sleep tonight and tomorrow.

Nicky Sussex :o

Im a rescue remedy fan too! I get so nervous before interviews, obs etc that I get physically sick before hand. Im just as bad now when I have to do training.

I have to 'learn' what I am doing as if it were a script, then imagine it as a performance. Trouble is, sometimes you don't know what the script is, and thats the tricky bit.

I never cease to be amazed at how others tell me I dont look or sound nervous and they cant quite believe that Im completely knotted up inside.

Im afraid I dont have any answers otherwise Id be using them myself, but good luck with it, it will e all veor in less than2 days!

I use rescue remedy whenever I fly.........................I do think it's rather like Dumbo's feather to be honest, but it DOES get me on the aeroplane!!

I hope you get some sleep, as lack of that precious resource might make you even more anxious.Just focus on the children, try to be yourself and try to forget you are being observed.................and it's not easy, I know!! We had our Ofsted inspection last week, and I have to say, it's the calmest I have ever been,which rubbed off on staff and we actually enjoyed the inspection (I KNOW.......................who'd have thought???)

blakcat I have firends who also swear by Rescue Remedy but another thing you may try is to visualise how well the observation goes and the good feedback you are going to get.

I know thismay sound odd but if you begin to think it and see it in your minds eye your brain does get into a more positive mode. I have used this tecnique for interviews and it enabled me to think through and go with a positive attitude - also got the job!!!!

I too am being observed but on Wednesday, unfortunately this is after an observation just before half term which went badly, 2 snow days and 2 enforced days indoors ( the head and deputy felt it was too icey for the whole school including us in nursery who are usually sent out regardless, to venture out) didn't really help at all!! Anyhow I'm swigging down the Bach remedies but at the moment my stomach is really sore and I'm not sleeping too brilliant but will persist. Well what's the worse that can happen? hopefully a hurricane!! But good luck Blackcat and if anybody out there has any brilliant outdoor ideas for me I would be really grateful.

Thanks

Windypops

Good luck windypops, my observation is after a difficult Ofsted alot of issues out of my control. I am hopeless at interviews but have still muddled along. I felt very alone till I joined this site, talking definitley helps, thanks for sharing hope it helped you. There are lovely people on this site with great advise.

Bach rescue remedy does work because we used to use it on our guinea pigs if they needed to go to the vet - it prevented them from getting stressed. I also have used it on my goldfish - who is now 14 years old, when he's stressed after a water change. So, it's not Dumbo's feather or it wouldn't work on animals. I got the idea from a vet who uses it regularly.

I am using the bachs rescue remedy at the moment and find it really helps!! I use the drops that you put on your tongue.

I would advise you to start using them this weekend, as sometimes they can take a while kick in, well with me anyway. Maybe it is different with other people.

Good luck to you for your observations blackcat and windypops!!

And welcome to the forum windypops, u slipped in very quietly xD

Let me be the first to tell you of the amazing people in here, giving out all sorts of advice and kind words.

May I also be the first to tell you the forum is VERY addictive!! :o

Good luck to you both on your observations. I too get very nervous and panicky - thing is I find things don't quite go to plan most days, and we just shrug it off and don't let it bother us, and it certainly doesn't affect the children's 'learning' in any big way - in a real life situation we just carry on and try again without stressing. BUT when you're being observed (and sometimes it depends on WHO is observing and their preconceived expectations!) things are different and you want to show yourself in the best possible light. I've never tried any 'medication', though following these comments I may well try, but whatever you decide to do - just try to be yourself and take any comments as a way forward and view them in a positive light. If they make any negative comments ask the observer what you could/should have done or how they would have approached the learning experience to make it more meaningful to the children - two purposes here - if there are things you could do then you'll know for the future, secondly it will make them really think and have to come up with something concrete. You may still think 'that wouldn't work' and if you can honestly say that - and justify why in the situation you know best I would gently point this out (or just nod and say 'Oh that's interesting, I'll try that!)

Good luck again - try not to panic.

Harricroft

PS windypop - if you give us some idea of what you're observation will focus on - and therefore what you want for outdoor activities I'm sure you'll get some response. You could either add to this discussion or start another topic - PS welcome to the forum.

Anyhow I'm swigging down the Bach remedies but at the moment my stomach is really sore and I'm not sleeping too brilliant but will persist. Well what's the worse that can happen?

Hi there Windypops - welcome to the Forum.

I can't help wondering if your choice of username is as a result of Rescue Remedy overdose! xD Sorry - that's not very helpful is it? :o

Good luck to you both with your observations - some really good advice here about keeping calm and making the best of the feedback you get. Let us know how things go.

Maz

Just had observation which went ok, I knew I could of done better but nerves did get the better of me at times. Got good constructive feedback from advisor and will move on. Rescue remedy did help as I slept most of the night and was not as bad as I could of been.

Hope your observation goes ok Windypop. Just remember you cannot alter the past experience don't let it influence the future observation. Chin up and good luck

Blackcat

That's good news Blackcat, We always feel we could have done things better - hindsight is a wonderful thing! I'm one of those people who always things of great 'come back lines' well after the event - I think, "I should have said this", "I could have said that", but hey-ho. There's always next time :o

Just had observation which went ok, I knew I could of done better but nerves did get the better of me at times. Got good constructive feedback from advisor and will move on. Rescue remedy did help as I slept most of the night and was not as bad as I could of been.

Great news, blackcat! Glad the rescue remedy worked - a good night's sleep is a must in these situations isn't it. I'm so glad the feedback was constructive - reflect on what went well and look at which parts of the feedback might make you a better teacher, and then as you say, move on.

One more observation under your belt - and you won't have to worry about it again for quite a while, will you!

I'll bet you'll sleep well tonight!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)