Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

No Shoes Policy

Hello,

I am trying to implement a No Shoe Policy in our Bbay Room.

I hope to use this initiative as part of my Gateway Review for EYPS. I was just wondering if anyone has a policy they would be willing to show me.

:o Thank You

JULIE

There are no shoes for anyone in the baby room I'm currently at. I've queried the emergency problem but was told 'we'd have to go out in our socks'. All the babies are supposedly put into a cot with wheels that is next to the emergency exit, with extras being carried. We were talking about this today though. The manager wants us to have an open door situation all day so the toddlers can go in and out as they want, but then what happens to the no shoes policy? I'mnot sure we'd interact withthe children at all if we had to stop and put shoes on and off every time they went in and out.

If I have a policy in the pack they gave me, I'll try to post it tomorrow.

no shoes for who?

If you're talking staff what happens in an emergency and you have to evacuate PDQ?

xx

sorry I wasn't very clear - it will be for staff, parents/carers and children. Several parents have asked for this to be implemented. Staff shoes are kept near our fire exits but in an emergency the priority would always be to get the children to our safety point first. We are looking into getting slippers for all baby room staff. None of our children in the baby room currently walk so they do not really have outdoor shoes as our cuurent age range for the baby room is up to 15 months.

Julie

no shoes for who?

If you're talking staff what happens in an emergency and you have to evacuate PDQ?

xx

sorry I wasn't very clear - it will be for staff, parents/carers and children. Several parents have asked for this to be implemented. Staff shoes are kept near our fire exits but in an emergency the priority would always be to get the children to our safety point first. We are looking into getting slippers for all baby room staff. None of our children in the baby room currently walk so they do not really have outdoor shoes as our cuurent age range for the baby room is up to 15 months.

Julie

There are no shoes for anyone in the baby room I'm currently at. I've queried the emergency problem but was told 'we'd have to go out in our socks'. All the babies are supposedly put into a cot with wheels that is next to the emergency exit, with extras being carried. We were talking about this today though. The manager wants us to have an open door situation all day so the toddlers can go in and out as they want, but then what happens to the no shoes policy? I'mnot sure we'd interact withthe children at all if we had to stop and put shoes on and off every time they went in and out.

If I have a policy in the pack they gave me, I'll try to post it tomorrow.

Thank You REA,

If it does not cause a problem with copyright that would be great.

Julie

Julie

I didn't mean to be..em -whatever!! :oxD:(

it's just no shoes is something I have real issues with!-

whislt it's ok to go out barefoot for a fire-drill but totally different in reallife situations- we once had to evacuate for a bomb scare and the 'no shoes' were are real nightmare - especislly when you remember you could end up walking quite a didtance in a real emergency. Sensible slippers/soft shoes sounds good.

xxxx

Our staff and children wear slippers or plimsols (like the ones kids wear for PE) therefore in an emergency they are Ok to wear out yet are soft enough to wear indoors. We too have an indoor / outdoor policy, the children simply change from there wellies to their plimsols and vise-versa

I didn't mean to be..em -whatever!! :oxD:(

it's just no shoes is something I have real issues with!-

whislt it's ok to go out barefoot for a fire-drill but totally different in reallife situations- we once had to evacuate for a bomb scare and the 'no shoes' were are real nightmare - especislly when you remember you could end up walking quite a didtance in a real emergency. Sensible slippers/soft shoes sounds good.

xxxx

I agree with you wholeheartedly it is just intresting that the comments I am now getting from new parents is that the majority of Baby Rooms seem to be shoe free zones , this sounds ideal until you look into the real logistics of the 'bigger issue' like evacuation of a room. I have to say I only thought about fire drills a bomb scare what a nightmare!

Julie

• 1 month later...

Did you implement this?

How did it go?

I am looking at doing something similar in the setting that i am in. I hadnt however though of the implications of fire alarms etc.

I have a no shoe rule in my baby rooms for the adults. We've just put a sign on the door saying no outdoor shoes beyond this point, we offer blue covers for shoes for visitors, but we have never had anyone refuse or complain about doing it. In fact alot of people ask do they need to take their shoes off before we even mention it to them.

Staff are more than happy to wear slippers in the room and their own shoes are lined up in order for them to put them on in an emergency. This has never presented us with any problems.

Dont have a policy as such - as I said just a sign on the door!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)