Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Summer Topics

Hi,

I have spent this year so far covering topics the children were interested in, so not necessarily doing a topic per half term as I had done previously. Some topics have been linked to conditions at the time (snow, Christmas, etc), and some have been linked to interests shown up during CI play.

Anyway, I have been looking through their profiles, and which areas will need a bit more focus. I want to do something animal related during the summer term and also need to do something that has an emphasis on past and present. In previous years, I have found that 'toys' works well for past and present, but I wondered if any of you have any other inspiring suggestions as I fancy doing something different to 'toys'. Will ask the children at some point what they want to do, but I usually get some rather strange suggestions!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

purplemagic x

Just a couple of ideas although don't sound that inspiring but I'm sure you can make them that way. Transport and homes. In homes you can specifically focus on the appliances. The role play area is great for this but i don't know how easy it is to get hold of the stuff. Can't think of anything else - we do it through toys mainly. They have also done wash day in the past in previous years using Mrs Lather's Laundry as a starting point. We have a lady dressed up as Mrs Lather come in and do some drama work with them.

Hi there

We asked parents to send in pictures of the children when they were babies. The staff also brought in photos of themselves. They were stuck on the wall by the snack table and generated lots of fascinating conversation. Some of the other staff brought their photos in too and it was fun guessing who was who and how people had changed over time.

Lesley :oxD

How about growing things from seeds? Now - the present - they are seeds, but in the future they are flowers or whatever - then when you are looking at the flowers you can talk about the past - the seeds - and find seeds within the plant for the future

sorry I always seem to be too late- but how about the sea as a topic- you could look at sea creatures and there are loads of fantastic sea story books- and for history look at holidays of the past (victorian- with bathing machines and funny swimsuits, etc) there is a good Magic Grandad DVD (BBC), also parents/grandparents photos of their holidays are always fun to look at,

Claire

Thanks and don't worry you're not too late - I haven't planned anything yet!! The sea is a good idea (I love doing 'water' with the children - especially the water cycle which they seem to love!) but ... Y1/2 do the seaside including the magic grandad stuff - and I would be in big trouble if I 'used' the same stuff - even though there are very few children who would remember it anyway and obviously we all do things differently!

x

we covered past and present a while back and invited grandparents to come in with items of their past.

One grandmother came in with an outfit she had worn when she was a baby, a photograph of a very dated

silver cross pram (when they used to have huge wheels!!) with her sitting in it and a tiddly winks game (in original box).

She talked about digging up vegetables from her granddads allotment and how there were no mac donalds to visit

or tumble tots to take part in. The children were amazed and asked lots of questions. She then got down on her hands

and knees and played tiddly winks with small groups of children.

It was a really good morning and I think the staff enjoyed her visit as much and the children xD

A worthwhile topic indeed :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)