Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Sun Cream

I was just wondering how all day pre-schools manage sun cream. I was thinking that parents could be responsible for applying sun cream in the morning and we would top up at lunch time.

Do all of your children bring in their own sun cream or do you have a supply and they all have the same one??

Also if you supply the sun cream do you charge the parents??

Thanks in advance of your replies!!

We have sun cream and parents sign on their registration form that they are happy for us to do this. It's a F30 skin sensitive one. Parents are shown which one we use and if they want another one then they provide it and it lives in the child's tray. No we don't charge for it, as we'd feel a bit stingy.

Yes - we follow a similar procedure to Cait - I think it's the only way - we have tried all sorts of things over the years but this is all that really works - the only thing that I do slightly differently is that I leave the sun cream in our 'waiting area' and ask parents to apply it when they arrive.

Hope this helps

Sunnyday

we dont we ask parents to apply as i am not applying sun cream to 26 children with washing hands in between we wouldnt get out.

I will however apply if a child has particiularly sensitive skin and parent has asked me to do so in which case parent supplies

parents are notified of this policy

we used to ask parents to bring their own suncream in.. but it became a nightmare applying different creams to 30 children each day..often three times as we are full day nursery. We now buy a pharmacy suncream factor 30 and use this on all children unless parents state they require a different suncream and then they provide it. We do charge a small fee for the suncream but we find we get through so much it would cost us a lot if we didnt..

we send out a permission form to all parents to allow us to apply sun cream to their child when at nursery.

each parent provides their childs own sun cream and hat.

We ask that the parents to cream their children before coming into the setting first thing. We ask that lunch club children

bring in a spray lotion to top up protection if parents wish. We tend to get the children to 'rub it in' to each other to

avoid adult/child contact. All parents are fine with this procedure and this children think it's great fun, although we do

not have it written into a policy.

dottyp

just a comment or observation from personal experience....

we had a parent apply a suncream to her child, this was one which was for children and had been used several times before...on the way to the setting, about an hour after application, child began to become red, swollen face, and was taken to casualty instead of us . She had a reaction to the suncream. It can happen very fast and also even if you have used the cream before....

Inge

just a comment or observation from personal experience....

we had a parent apply a suncream to her child, this was one which was for children and had been used several times before...on the way to the setting, about an hour after application, child began to become red, swollen face, and was taken to casualty instead of us . She had a reaction to the suncream. It can happen very fast and also even if you have used the cream before....

Inge

That's scary - a real cautionary tale - a good reminder to us all that we need to get parents to sign permission slips if we intend to apply sun-cream and that these would need to include the brand used.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

Hope the child in question recovered quickly.

Sunnyday

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick off topic thought - You might want to upload edited copies of documents, that have had names and addresses taken out of them?

Not that I'm saying anyone on here would do anything with these addresses, but you never know who is reading it and might do something!

Maybe I'm just over reacting - But you can never be too safe?

I don't think I'd be too happy if someone posted my name and address on a website :o

"I don't think I'd be too happy if someone posted my name and address on a website"

My grandchild put in my name on Google and it came up with my pre-school and home address!!!!!!!!

All correspondence to the early years goes to my home address so now I am wondering if they pass pon info to a third party.

"I don't think I'd be too happy if someone posted my name and address on a website"

My grandchild put in my name on Google and it came up with my pre-school and home address!!!!!!!!

All correspondence to the early years goes to my home address so now I am wondering if they pass pon info to a third party.

If I put my name into google, a few pictures of me come up on the image section and my Facebook, bebo and myspace are all on the websites. :o

This scares me!

I apparently work for Plum Creek Timber Company in Montana, or I'm a weird looking dog on facebook..............

Oh hang on, one of those in the google listing IS actually me!!!!!

Hey - I'm a Psychic Medium - Cool!!!

Always wanted to visit Montana - any chance you could 'put me up'!!!

Sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)