Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters And Sounds

Hi Guys,

I was hoping that someone could give me a quick overview of what this is about and how it works.

many thanks

Salsa

Hi Salsa73

Letters and sounds is a programme of principles and practice of high quality phonics from the department for

education and skills. It supports EYFS linking letters to sounds. We have been advised through our EECO that we

should concentrate on phase 1 in pre-school and although I went on a training course in Feb 08 it has only just been

suggested we put it in place in our setting. I have a cd which i am about to load to see if i can get a web site for you.

dottyp

Letters and Sounds Phase 1 is what you need. Basically it's probably what you already do - singing songs and rhymes, playing musical instruments to follow a beat, listening to the sounds around us. Its divided into 7 aspects: General sound discrimination environmental sounds, General sound discrimination instrumental sounds, general sound discrimination - body percussion, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration, voice sounds and oral blending and segmenting.

It is directly linked to the EYFS supporting learning in Communication, language and literacy, Personal Social and emotional development and Creative.

It really will help your children with speaking and listening. If you use the Boogie Mites music programme this supports letters and sounds.

Hope this helps :o

I put some of the activities from L& S phase 1 in the resource bank. I printed them out and laminated them so that my TA can select an activity to use with her key group. They encourage good listening skills and distinguishing individual sounds all things you probably do anyway..

eg:

Describe and find it

Set up a model farmyard. Describe one of the animals but do not tell the children its name. Say, for example: This animal has horns, four legs and a tail. Ask them to say which animal it is. Ask them to make the noise the animal might make. When they are familiar with the game let individual children take the part of the adult and describe the animal for the others to name.

This activity can be repeated with other sets of objects such as zoo animals, toy sets based on transport (e.g. aeroplane, car, train, bus, boat) and musical instruments. It can be made more challenging by introducing sets of random objects to describe and name.

phase_1_activities.doc

I tried to order phase 1 today but they said they are out of stock and have an alternative which incorporates all the phases.. will see what I get when it arrives I guess. I have been keen to start something like this with my funded children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)