Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

New Classes

Just wondering how over teachers start their new year with their foundationstage classes. Our school has 2 classes per year group and we put the children into classes before september. This usually works well. That is until this year. My class is top heavy with behavioural issues and special needs. I wouldn't change them for the world, but wondered does anyone else start the new term by not giving the children a set class? It has been suggested that our 60 children start for a month and we get to know them and then put them into a class. Not sure how i feel about this as this would have a knock on effect for home visits and record keeping etc. Would love to hear your ideas and experiences.

I always visited the children in the nurseries and obtained that sort of info before we set up class groups for intial visits. I would be concerned that what you have had suggested does not aid the children's transition or that of the parents! There is security in knowing who your teacher will be and I would imagine that it could cause all sorts of other problems if groups were not set until after the children had started.

I always visited the children in the nurseries and obtained that sort of info before we set up class groups for intial visits. I would be concerned that what you have had suggested does not aid the children's transition or that of the parents! There is security in knowing who your teacher will be and I would imagine that it could cause all sorts of other problems if groups were not set until after the children had started.

We do visit nurseries and gain as much info as we can. But this year we had a very young year group and we found certain issues arised as they started. I agree with you. I feel that the children and parents need to know who the child is going to. I'm also not sure that i would be happy starting in sept not knowing who would be in my class. I don't see it being workable! There are general organisation issues as well, such as where do the children hang their coats/register/etc. Nightmare!!!!!!!

Edited by sleepyhead

Have to say I agree - it's about getting your transitions policies working effectively so that you know about the children before hand as much as you can. Having said that you may get children who for all sorts of reasons have particular needs which you can't pre-determine. It won't evre be an exact science!!

Cx

Do you have a nursery or preschool where a big group of your children go to. We get about 50% from one preschool, about 25% from another then the remaining 25% come from various preschools.

The preschool where about 50% of the children come from always sort the children into recommended class groups, this has really helped as it gives a really good basis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)