Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Keywords/tricky Words

Hi

Just wondered if any of you have any fab ideas for encouraging your class to include the keywords we have learnt in Letters and Sounds in their own writing. They can obviously write the ones that they can sound out its the tricky words we are having trouble with - they write these as they sound too. I dont mind this but wonder whether I should be encouraging them to recall the tricky words when they write. Anyone got any ideas or pointers to help me?

We have tricky work medals. Laminated medals with a work on that hang round our necks. IF a child comes up to us and reads our medal, they get to wear it. I supposed you could adopt this method when they are writing, give them/let them choose a tricky work to wear whilst they are writing and they have to try and incorporate it into their work. Just an idea!

I too have they displayed where the children can go and get them and then copy- bugs off of sparklebox. I also have flowers on the classroom door- they always read them when they are lined up for lunch/play! I also have a tricky word hat (magicians hat) which we use to introduce new tricky words. They love playing at teachers and tested each other. When I introduce them to the chnildren, I always talk through with them which part of the word is tricky and often I circle it on the flashcards. This helps them to read the words instead of sounding them out incorrectly. I do pick my better children up when they incorrectly spell the tricky words (in an adult led/directed activity) but that is because those children are more than capable of spelling them correctly in the 1st place! Obviously I don't worry to much with my poorer children unless it is part of the objective- it is often amazing if they can get any recognisable letters written. For the last half term I have always made one of our phonic sessions linked to writing tricky words as well as recapping them everyday. It all seems to be coming together!

Edited by Guest

I use Action Words to teach the tricky words. I made a Power Point for my class and KS1 which we practice everyday. I do "quickwrite" using individual white boards and display the words in the writing area and role play.

Marion, have just looked at the Action words website - do you use their resources? Was just wondering if they are worth buying or not as I have never come across action words before and think it might work with my little lot!

Ems

Marion, have just looked at the Action words website - do you use their resources? Was just wondering if they are worth buying or not as I have never come across action words before and think it might work with my little lot!

Ems

Action Words are based on the old NLS 45 reception sight words and the KS1 sight words (can't remember off hand how many)

There are actions for each word (some of them are a bit odd in my opinion). I don't follow the programme as such just teach the action when I introduce new words to reinforce (make it multi sensory). I don't use all the words because I feel I only need to teach the "tricky words" this way. My power point is in the resource library if you want to take a look most of the actions are pretty obvious from the pictures but if you have any questions I'll try to help.

Action Words are based on the old NLS 45 reception sight words and the KS1 sight words (can't remember off hand how many)

There are actions for each word (some of them are a bit odd in my opinion). I don't follow the programme as such just teach the action when I introduce new words to reinforce (make it multi sensory). I don't use all the words because I feel I only need to teach the "tricky words" this way. My power point is in the resource library if you want to take a look most of the actions are pretty obvious from the pictures but if you have any questions I'll try to help.

Thank you!! Emsxx :o

Thanks for the powerpoint Marion. Turns out I've actually been doing a lot of actions very similiar to the ones in the action words scheme! I'm sure the powerpoint will be really useful.

Hi everyone, I tend to focus on particular key words when we are going to use them within our writing as this means the children see a purpose in learning them and have the opportunity to write them lots over a week or 2. I have also made up some simple songs that we sing to help us remember the letters eg to the tune of Barney song '

I like you, You like me

Can you spell the word with me?

with a l i k e that's the way it goes,

l i k e that's the way we know.'

We practise the songs when lining up etc as well as when i model writing. If children are trying to spell these words I hum the tune to help remind them of the letters they need.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)