Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Could You Have A Look At My Planning Format Please?

hi all,

I'm meeting with my manager next week to discuss changes in my planning format and keyperson system. Please could someone have a look over my planning format and give opinions

Theres a sheet for acitivity plans, keyperson time, continious provision enhancement, observations of child initiated play, individual planning sheet and key person overview sheet.

I think I've done too much!! Feel free to give lots of suggestions :o

hiya,looks goodan aful lot of paperwork though!!do you not have outdoors on the provision as outdoors is freeflow in ours the children are outdoors as well as in!!

we have two outside areas a patio that is directly outside the rooms door that we use for free flow and a large garden that the children go out to twice a day which has cars,bikes,willow dome etc

I also forgot to say this planning is for 3-5 year olds :o I was tired last night when i posted this xD

Hi there,

I'm still getting to grips with what you're "supposed" to do where planning is concerned, but I don't think this amount of paperwork would get filled in by anyone other than me if I tried to introduce it - if you don't want to end up doing it all yourself I think it might pay to try and cut it down a bit... I like the nice simple format which is clear and easy to understand, some planning I've seen has been quite cramped where loads of information has been compressed into a single page. If I were you I'd try and thinnk about ways you could combine some of these things - eg you might be able to combine the observations of the individual children with the personal plan?

Danielle

Ok i have had another go - have got rid of two pages :o

would love more opinions xD

I've posted it in windows word rather than the open office that i've worked it on so it may be a little out of order etc

these are the formats i use- as little as possible! we use environment mapping to record what the children are enjoying each day, succesful activites, activities we could improve, provisions we need to make, resources that have worked well etc, most importantly what the childrens interests are! its basically an a3 piece of paper with a room plan on that staff write on and record all they see throughout the session.

we then use this to plan our activties for the following week- our adult led activties which extend the childrens interests but have a specific objective. i have attatched the format we use:

we then record progress and development in their learning journals and use a provision sheet to montor the areas of learning the children are covering so we can identify areas where they made need support. i have attached the format:

we do have a format for continuous provision but find our environment map does the same job so currently are not using it.

we also have a format used for our circle time activity:

it all depends on how your setting works as to what planning suits you.

Adult_led_activity.doc

Long_20term_20plan_20coverage_20of_20all_20areas_2008_1_.rtf

_Session_1_Circle_Time_Activity_Plan_1_.doc

I've posted it in windows word rather than the open office that i've worked it on so it may be a little out of order etc

i think you have done a lot of work and it that planning works for u great. it was certainly helpful to me

It will be interesting to hear how it works for you once you've trialed it, as others have said, planning is so individual to each setting and the format is also dependednt on staff's inclination/ability to input into the planning. It does look a bit similar to the style I used to use when I had my preschool.

Can I just mention the spelling of continuous needs correcting and I noticed the word written spelt with one 't'.

I'm curious as to what will be written within the blank spaces of the continuous provision section, would staff write resources or learning objectives? I used similar but had it split between two columnss. We used to write what resources/ style of learning the children showed to be doing on one column headed child initiated, On the other column we would write learning intentions / and or resources added, but this column was headed as adult enhanced play.(these were derived from observations from the child initiated play previously observed/noted. We didn't have seperate adult led activity plans as these in effect were the adult enhanced plans as differentiated from the child initiated column. I hope that makes sense.

Peggy

Hi - I think it looks really good and you have obviously spent a lot of time on it.

I have really 'cut down' on planning - all I do now is have 'continuous provision sheets' for each area and then a really simple sheet showing planned 'enhancements' - these tend to get changed all of the time as we try to follow children's interests - often being completed retrospectively, and then, at the end of each session (or sometimes at the end of each week) I fill in another very simple form which has headings for each of the six areas - I just add which enhancements covered each area - just to ensure that we are providing a balanced 'curriculum' and add a very, very short evaluation.

We also produce 'individual plans' and 'next steps' for our 'key children'.

Hope that makes sense - it works for us and has been 'approved' by our E.Y.A.T. - but I would never be bold enough to suggest that this is the right way! Indeed I'm not sure there is a 'right way'. I suspect that lots of providers are experimenting with their planning! I do worry that I might not be doing enough but as I said it seems to work for us. Probably should have said we are a very small pre-school so we get to know our children and their interests very well.

Sorry - what a long winded reply!

Hope it is of use - probably not!!!

Ooops yes I've had comments about my spellings! I was in a rush to post this as my sons were demanding my attention so I forgot to spell check it! (I'm a bad speller!) I'm in the process of filling it in for tomorrow, so I will see how it goes :(

be assured my spelling is not perfect, I blame my keyboard keys for sticking :oxD , and I don't know how to use spell check within the forum, we are all non judgemental about it on here, just wanted to mention before you printed it off. (my grammer and long sentences leaves a lot to be desired as well :( )

It will be interesting to hear how the planning works for you, as others have said you've obviously spent a lot of time on it and you have been reflective in the process of creating it.

Peggy

That looks really good - I think cutting those couple of pages out has made it a more manageable size. I hope it works well for you and your colleagues!

Danielle

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)