Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Numeracy And Literacy

Hi,

This year has been like a trial and error experience for me as I am new in Reception and I was trying to get my head around the EYFS. Next year we are very likely to be inspected so I am trying to evaluate my planning all the time to make sure it is correct. I do feel like I am still unsure of a couple of things, like, the numeracy and literacy objectives for Reception- with the EYFS in place do we still follow the objectives from the standards site or not? It is just that with the early learning goals, the scale points and everything else I just want to ensure I am right in what I am doing!

Please can someone reassure me with the literacy and numeracy plans, I would really appreciate it! You probably think I am really dumb at this time of year to be asking but I always feel I am missing out something that other people might be doing.

Thanks

Firstly I'd like to sympathize with you because it is really hard to know whether you are doing the right thing. I will try to explain what we do and how I think it fits together and hope it helps.

From the maths point of view, we plan using the ELGs - these fit in with the strategy anyway and always have done as they are also the key objectives - also the maths update for year R on the strategy website is not particularly useful (in my opinion) anyway so I would stick to using the EYFS - that is what's statutory anyway.

Personally I feel you should also stick to the EYFS for literacy also. The main part of the literacy strategy to bear in mind is ensuring a variety of reading/writing genres but this is part of the EYFS also so it really shouldn't make any difference.

As for planning documents, I know that some schools have separate documents for English, Maths and the rest - we do in other year groups but in reception it is all part of one document as everything we do interlinks through whatever we are doing but this is a bit more dependent on what your school are happy with.

One thing that you certainly shouldn't do is plan using the scale points - these fit in with the stages of development and the ELGs anyway - but quoting those looks like you are in effect teaching for the FSP rather than making judgments as to where children are at.

You are not at all dumb in asking these questions - dumb people wouldn't care what they were doing!!!

I hope this has been of some help :o

No not dumb at all.

Your statutory document is the EYFS. Literacy and numeracy objectives in there are the bold ones in the framework which may give you more ideas how to teach them.

I always found that it was easier to plan without separate literacy and numeracy plans but to make them an integral part of the rest of your planning.

No not dumb at all.

Your statutory document is the EYFS. Literacy and numeracy objectives in there are the bold ones in the framework which may give you more ideas how to teach them.

I always found that it was easier to plan without separate literacy and numeracy plans but to make them an integral part of the rest of your planning.

You said that so much more simply than me!

• 1 month later...

So Glad i found this site...

i work in a pre school room with children aged 3-5 years and we are slacking on problem solving, reasoning and numeracy activities and also on the communication, language and literacy (more on the literacy) activities so any help with activities and how they tie in or links to sites that can give me any sort of help would be much appreciated!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)