Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Transition To School Report

Yeah, it's ok, it says what you want it to. Anyone reading it who knows the EYFS will be able to understand what you're 'not saying' if you catch my drift.

It's not what we do, which is more anecdotal than statistical, but you find what works for you, and what you like.

Do you give this to parents too, or is it just for school?

I'll go and de-name one of mine and post it

post-13453-1243588386_thumb.jpg

post-13453-1243588403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cait

Hi!

I'm new to the forums (!) but just wanted to say that as a teacher in a reception class, if I received the report I would find it very useful especially with regards to the stage that the children are working in. I'm not sure I would include the stages on the parents copy if it were me...it may open a can of worms if you get what i mean!

Yeah, it's ok, it says what you want it to. Anyone reading it who knows the EYFS will be able to understand what you're 'not saying' if you catch my drift.

It's not what we do, which is more anecdotal than statistical, but you find what works for you, and what you like.

Do you give this to parents too, or is it just for school?

I'll go and de-name one of mine and post it

Hi Cait - you have said exactly what I feel, I would like to make it more fun and personal etc but i'm not sure what the school is expecting, I have emailed the headteacher for a meeting but have had no reply xD would love to see one of yours if that is ok to get some ideas though :o

I think it's very good, and similar to what I do for parents. Only a very small comment would be in your closing section where you state 'transition to school will be less traumatic for her'. Could you rephrase that to say 'will be a positive experience for her'. Just a thought!

I agree as a year R teacher it is really useful to have the stage of development as well as the comment. We don't get anything as good as that passed onto us although we have discussed with our main pre-school what would be useful so it's great to have some good examples(Thanks Cait and Mrs Bat). Any other ideas would also be fantastic :o

I think it's very good, and similar to what I do for parents. Only a very small comment would be in your closing section where you state 'transition to school will be less traumatic for her'. Could you rephrase that to say 'will be a positive experience for her'. Just a thought!

...took the words right out of my mouth, exactly (to the word) what I was going to suggest. :o

Mrsbat, I think it is a good report, it conveys a personal approach/knowledge of the child with concrete examples of how you know she has reached certain attainment levels, well done. xD

Peggy

Just a thought, I wonder if anyone has considered writing transition reports using the EYFS Themes as the headings.

Peggy

we in kent now have moved to a tick transitionregarding the ages and stages and a unique journey which is a record done 3 times a year but is the parents resonsibilty to keep and thee choice to show it to school

for us the tick list is not quite enough it does show you where the child is at but it doesnt say what we have been doing withem in terms of letters and sounds, well being and involement so we think that we will adapt ours slighty

the plus side is less writng for us...........fantatsic

yours lookes similar to what we with the old foundation stage

• 3 weeks later...

are all counties now doing the same 'transition sheets' ? if so does anyone else feel that 'listening' should not have been grouped with the other 3 CLL's for communication ? i have children who could talk the hind leg of a donkey but dont listen to a word you say and others who listen attentively, respond to instruction yet are not great communicators and dont initiate conversation with adults or peers yet i now only get 1 box to tick !

are all counties now doing the same 'transition sheets' ?

I know for certain that all counties don't do the same transition sheet. I'm in Hampshire but have children from preschools in Wiltshire and Dorset and they are different which would not be a problem if the information was generally the same but that's not always the case. But any information is better than none.

thanks for replies........... we were sent ours and told that we had to use them as of this september, they're also very confusing with the e & f columns for 30-50m, but then the dorset assessment record compared to other counties is ridiculous...78 ! pages per record, (not that i use it - have adapted somersets which was much more realistic)

thanks for replies........... we were sent ours and told that we had to use them as of this september, they're also very confusing with the e & f columns for 30-50m, but then the dorset assessment record compared to other counties is ridiculous...78 ! pages per record, (not that i use it - have adapted somersets which was much more realistic)

Hi debc - noticed that you have said....... 'told that we had to use them' .......... now I am a bit of a rebel! - I have not used the format suggested by our LA.

After much debate - which included asking reception class teacher what she would like - I am sending copies of the children's 'summative assessments'. Reception teacher has already spent a day with us and met the children, she had a brief look through their 'Learning Journey' folders and informal discussion with me and children's key workers. Our children also get three 'taster' afternoons in July.

Sunnyday

Cait, please don't upload documents to the forum that you haven't produced yourself. Just put the link in so that members can download them from their original website. xD

Incidently, this document relates to the Northern Ireland Foundation Stage Curriculum. :o

Hi Mrsbat

Your report looks great, and I also would definitely find all the information helpful. The space for the child's comments is really good too - something that often gets forgotten.

We have a space to write the child's times of attendance onto ours. It sometimes makes a difference if the child is only in for a very few sessions, or even only in during the afternoons.

Just a suggestion.

Gruffalo2 :o

Ok, I've spent the evening drafting this - will you lovely people have a look and see if I have missed anything obvious?

Looks great Cait - and matches well with your other documentation so there's a strong 'corporate' image! I wonder whether you would need to put in 'next steps' for the child since this is a summative assessment at the point of transfer to school. The teachers on here are obviously better placed to say whether they'd necessarily use this information in the initial planning for the child!

Also I wonder whether calling it a transition report rather than a sheet would give it more gravitas (especially as there are actually four sheets in total!). :o

Maz

Hmm, yes, good point about the 'sheet' bit.

I put the next steps bit in as I felt that it may be 'forward thinking', but obviously I'm aware that after the six week break it's not really going to be their 'next step'.

As you say, It will be interesting to hear what the teachers say.......

I put the next steps bit in as I felt that it may be 'forward thinking', but obviously I'm aware that after the six week break it's not really going to be their 'next step'.

For most of our children there would only be a two week gap anyway, but I don't think the teachers at our feeder schools would do anything with our ideas for the child's next steps so I would personally leave that bit out. I've never been one to duplicate work!

Maz

Ok, I've spent the evening drafting this - will you lovely people have a look and see if I have missed anything obvious?

That's great Cait - honestly I think have more of your 'paperwork' saved on my computer than 'stuff' I have produced myself!!!

This is very close to the 'Record of Transfer' that Kent used pre EYFS.

Could you include 'a box' for parent's signature (parental permission and all that)!

Sunnyday

Edited by sunnyday

Hi All,

Not been around much lately but would you mind looking at the attached and let me know what you think please?

I've never had to do any kind of reports before so I'm a bit worried if i've done it "right" or not :(:o

Thankyou xD

I really like it but agree with the comments about changing 'traumatic experience'.

Just another little thing I noticed - you say

******* is very confident when speaking to other children and adults, she will also take on any task given to her with enthusiasm

I know exactly what you mean but it kind of reads that she will take on a task if she is given it with enthusiam I would be tempted to have something like ....is enthusiastic about taking on any new tasks. Sorry not nit picking honestly I am not probably just me!!!

:o looks really good to me Cait but think I agree about leaving out the next steps. I am not a teacher but imagine that if I was I would welcome what you have devised but would like to also get to know the child myself and decide their next steps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)