Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Planning For Robin Hood Topic

Hi we are looking at Robin Hood Topic next term anyone ever done this topic and got any ideas for making it very exciting?

I just love Robin Hood!

Hubby and I were watching Saturday's episode when I said to him "doesn't this just make you want to go to the woods and run about playing Robin Hood" - his reply "not right now no" - boring!!!

So bows and arrows, castles and all that that entails - drawbridges, moats etc.etc. um......... Medieval(Sp) dress, oh and food - that could be interesting, the 'crusades' maybe?

Um...........will keep thinking.........

Can I come and play, please?

Sunnyday

Ha ha thanks for your reply.

I know I cant wait for next term its a great way to end. Im not sure what to focus my literacy on thou

I expect you are far too young to remember the theme tune from the Robin Hood TV series in the sixties?!

Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen

Robin Hood, Robin Hood with his band of men

feared by the bad, loved by the good

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood!

Not much good unless you know the tune really!!!

Did I mention I'm a big fan!!!!!

Sunnyday

there is a theme of superheroes and villains coming through this - Rapunzel, There was a princess long ago, long ago, cone shaped hats, Shrek, - ooh all sorts - Lord of the rings even! Spells, potions, Spiderman, Ben 10 - you need to look at children's tv to get latest news on what children watch now.

We've done Robin Hood a few times. Making Robin Hood hats is always a favourite then painting them green. We usually go into the woods and play as well. For literacy we have done 'Wanted' posters and secret messages to Maid Marion (invisible ink).

We've done Robin Hood a few times. Making Robin Hood hats is always a favourite then painting them green. We usually go into the woods and play as well. For literacy we have done 'Wanted' posters and secret messages to Maid Marion (invisible ink).

Oh........I want to play!

Sunnyday

I dont suppose you got any old plans you might upload. Did you have any enriching experiences like theatre company or trip etc? Thanks for your contribution

• 2 years later...

HI all

thought i'd resurrect this as have found myself planning for robin hood next week we are working on traditional tales etc this half term and one of the things the boys wanted to do was robin hood. We have had cinderella for the girls!! which the boys have loved just as much dressing up as ugly sisters!!

Have thought about aiming games for outside (shooting their arrows etc into tagets so number recognition and calculation) the castles/moats/ build towers taller shorter than etc but then well lost it a bit don't knwo story as well as say the more girly tales. So was wondering anyone got an idea where to start writing in role play etc

thank you

xxx

I know did think isit the men in tights!? see i'm more of a pirate girl :)

I'm in reception Panders. Have been teaching for a long time but this is the first time that Robin hood has come up we are not really near any forest as was thinking a forest walk but by the sea (think great expectations that was just on BBC thats where we are all those lovely muddy creeks!)

Yes can picture the scene, I had a lovely view of the estuary on my way back to Kent this afternoon! Of course, having mentioned Grt Expectations, now have that lovely young man in my mind who played Pip so well xD

Obviously the forest features heavily in the story - perhaps we had best stick to being in the castle, moat bridge, castle life etc. can't think off hand, any castles nearby you could go on a visit to? now if you were in Kent, we have so many to choose from :o Quite fancy the idea of wanted posters of Robin, Little John, Will Scarlet.

In the story when Robin meets Little John, they have a "fight" balancing on stones in a river using long poles, first one to loose their balance etc. possible to do with your boys under supervision on a low balance beam?

Would you be able to have a barbeque in the play area without causing a fuss? We had one last year, I just took in a couple of disposable bbqs and some sausages, rolls and t. sauce - we made camp and cooked the sausages it was priceless!

Bit off the wall, but,as it's about "robbing the rich to give to the poor" could they organise a little sale in the classroom at break time. Some old toys they could bring in from home price them up and sell them to another class and give the money to a local charity?

So was wondering anyone got an idea where to start writing in role play etc

thank you

xxx

I love Robin Hood and am lucky enough to live in Robin Hood country so lots of possible visits - we could go to the real Sherwood Forest! Despite this my children have never even mentioned him!

Anyway, back to your question... Thinking specifically about the writing.

Ransom notes

We've kidnapped... notes

Wanted posters

Making a 'get out of jail/how to rob the sheriff plan' and adding labels

Love letters from Marian to Robin (and vice versa!)

Postcards home from the crusades

Maps (from the white cliffs of Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's wall :o !)

Lists of people in the band of Merry Men

Instructions for how to build a tree house

I'm thinking building traps/bridges could be some good KUW/Problem solving type activities. Exploring music - thinking about Will Scarlet (at least I think it was him) and the minstrels. Bit of dicussion about monks - Friar Tuck. I'd possibly draw the line at making beer though!

I didn't see the 60s series although do know the theme tune. The one I remember my little brother watching was 'Maid Marian and her Merry Men' with Tony Robinson as the sheriff - I have 3 episodes on DVD! Not sure it would all be kindly looked on for your age group (lots of references to bogies from one character) but the poor villagers eat a lot of mud - maybe you could explore different mud recipes and write them up!

Thanks Panders - very kind of you.

I'm thinking there are lots of opportunities for writing on different materials (or things to look like them) you could do the 'old' paper thing. Write on leaves/tree bark. Using charcoal/twigs to write with.

Perhaps you could even go down the secret messages route with invisible ink?

Leave a trail for others to follow along the ground - make different shapes with natural materials and write clues in chalk?

fantastic thank you lots of great ideas.

will let you know how we get on!! think we have the disney version of Robin hood so will watch at the weekend.

'robbing' i think thats why the boys have lent towards it as they are really into the police but we have had police for a long time my husband came in too with all his uniform etc for them which they loved. They love the whole idea of goodies and baddies.

Designing a tree house would be good, love the BBQ idea how brave i would be ??? and well making beer sounds a great plan must be something educational in there!!

thank you again

X

Hello I did Robin Hood in Year 1, 2 years ago - we made tye dye clothes using natural materials like beetroot for robin to wear, made bow and arrows, made a campfire, explored the environment for materials to make everyday objects, we visited a castle and reneacted scenes from the stories, we linked it to medieval times and did lots of work on kings and queens, we made magic squares to ward off evil spirits and the plague. We did lots of work on money looking at robin helping the poor. Ermmm will keep thinking!

Em

And for goodness sake, someone restrain Sunnyday, having read this old thread, she obviously thinks she's Olivia De Haviland

Oh I wouldn't mind being restrained by Jonas Armstrong :oxD

I love Robin Hood and am lucky enough to live in Robin Hood country so lots of possible visits - we could go to the real Sherwood Forest! Despite this my children have never even mentioned him!

Oh, oh - I'll come and play - please say I can! :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)