43. Supervision and evaluation of staff

Special Needs Supplementary Items

44. Provisions for exceptional children

45. Individualization

46. Multiple opportunities for learning and practicing skills

47. Engagement

48. Peer interactions

49. Promoting communication

Hi, has anyone had an ECERs done in Reception?

Is it ECERS-R or ECERS-E?

ECERS-R is about environment and ECERS-E is about the curriculum. It isn't an inspection such as Ofsted would do into teaching, but it does take account of interactions between practitioners and children. Auditors probably won't have a clipboard as such, but they work from a scale booklet looking at every aspect of the provision. This will entail digging around in cupboards, drawers etc to see what resources are available for children to access as well as looking at routines such as snack, rest, health and hygiene.

If you're having an audit of your provision you should have received a copy of the Scale book with the explanations of what the auditor will be looking for so that there should be no surprises on the day of your audit. If you haven't got a copy then I would ask for one as part of your audit, or get your school to order a copy!

Maz

Thanks for the link and the very comprehensive list. Are they organised by LEA's or by some other group?

Have not had any info or heard about them until I read it here.

Nicky Sussex

If you can't be bothered to go to the link, here's what they'll be looking at

49 Items organized into 7 Subscales

I'm off to have a look at your link Cait because I don't recognise some of the subscales you listed. :o

Ok I see - you've quoted the SACERS scales. SACERS is for children aged 5 to 12, and is obviously different to ECERS which is for children aged to five. I don't have experience with SACERS (yet) but once an auditor is trained to work with ECERS they don't receive extra training necessarily to work with ITERS (up to two and a half) or FCCERS (childminding) - so the scales are broadly similar in organisation and scope.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Your LEA will have organised either that or EQISP. This one is much better unfortunately my county have chosen EQISP which is a right pain! I have both books and my team really enjoyed looking through the ECERS-E and it led to some brilliant discusion and changes to practice. The EQISP definitely hasn't at all

Guest Spiral

We had ours recently and it went really well.

Primarily it is a tool that you can use to help you look at your environment. We used the yellow book that Cait's link showed and it is quite self explanatory.

Managing space and having freedom to move...ensuring there is a wide range of books fictional and non-fictional? it's not something to worry about, but it can help you to examine how well you do and to think upon how to make it even better.

The 'auditors' may look at how your staff are managing to create the experience for the children, but in my experience it's done so positively and nicely that you won't notice anyone there - and that's exactly how it should be.

Please don't worry :-)

It is a really good tool to reflect on your environment and practice and to see how you can develop as well. It was used in the EPPE and REPEY research which is why it is so useful and why it is in the QISP handbook.

Though not in a reception class - we are a pre-school and had our ecers - it was partly based on staff interaction and questionning as well - as our provision - Dot

Though not in a reception class - we are a pre-school and had our ecers - it was partly based on staff interaction and questionning as well - as our provision - Dot

But the original question was from someone in reception, which I why I responded with the reception one

But the original question was from someone in reception, which I why I responded with the reception one

Yes, but MrsL specifically mentioned ECERS which is what threw me. I guess it depends on the age of the children who are in a reception class - they could fall into the realms of both the ECERS or the SACERS remit. It may be that MrsL's LA has decided that for the settings they are to audit, the ECERS is more appropriate.

Either way it will enable MrsL to draw up a really detailed action plan of how to develop practice by building on what they are doing well and targeting areas where more support might be needed. A win/win situation, whichever scale is used.

Can you see my ECERS anorak from there? :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)