Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What's It Called!

We need some clever mathematical bod to come along. I would just have said instant recognition.

You don't mean conservation by any chance? That is when a child can recognise that there are the same number of objects however a given number in a set are arranged. So six is six whether in a line, a circle, spread out, etc. This is quite a cognitive leap for children. Just ignore me if that isn't what you mean. :o

'Subitizing' is recognising a small number of objects without counting them. Only works up to about 6 though like on a dice. Otherwise cardinality is knowing the last number you said is the total number of objects.

We need some clever mathematical bod to come along. I would just have said instant recognition.

You don't mean conservation by any chance? That is when a child can recognise that there are the same number of objects however a given number in a set are arranged. So six is six whether in a line, a circle, spread out, etc. This is quite a cognitive leap for children. Just ignore me if that isn't what you mean. :o

haha - no, I had conservation of number in my head - so it's blocking all other thought processes! Think it might be subitize, thanks. He looked at 4 bobbins and knew there were 4 without counting. Subitizial recognition sounds posh - what do you think?

Haha - just looked at the wikipedia entry for subitizing and counting - first paragraph, hmm, ok, yeah. Next two WHA????????

Edited by Cait

I shall file it in my brain and no doubt will have forgotten by tomorrow. I think I knew this once. :o

Make a post it - and try to get it into conversation at least once on Monday! That can be our challenge for the week! Maz, you up for it or still suffering with ennui?

Hi,

Piaget called it conservation if that helps.

Conservation is a bit different it's when you count out say 6 smarties and the child knows there are six, and still knows there are six even if you spread them out or arrange them differently

Make a post it - and try to get it into conversation at least once on Monday! That can be our challenge for the week! Maz, you up for it or still suffering with ennui?

Ha Cait,

Only thing is, how do you pronounce it? Is it 'sub' or 'soob'.

Sorry to sound dense but it is a new word for me too!

Sue

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

See the whole glass half full glass half empty thing - I was thinking about this the other day - not sure why ( I believe I was actually sober at the time!) and I concluded that if you pour something into a glass to the half way mark, then it's half full... but if it was full and you drank half, well then it's half empty.

Thats my only words of wisdom on the matter of glasses...

Now for subitizing... regular patterns make a difference surely to the number you can 'see' at a glance. e.g. if we see two dice each showing six, we know instantly there are 12 dots altogether. Whereas 12 random dots and I think most of us would have to count.

Ok that is my lot - I'm off to see what wiki has to say about it all!

Maz, you up for it or still suffering with ennui?

Oh I shall definintely mention this at some point this week! We have quite a few children who can do it so that would be easy enough to do I think! :o

Is it subertise?

That's really weird because I was trying to think about what subertising ??? was and couldn't remember the name for number conservation, earlier tonight.

[quote name='Mrs Tiggy Winkle' date='May 16 2009, 21:13' post='195200'

( I believe I was actually sober at the time!)

sober or suber Mrs Tiggywinkle?

Oh I shall definintely mention this at some point this week! We have quite a few children who can do it so that would be easy enough to do I think! :o

Woo I said it today when a little girl just said 'four' straight away when I asked her 'how many?' ('Clever you, you can subitize!)

Yep I managed to get it in twice on Monday !

Once when the children were playing a game with a die and one boy could look at the die and tell me all the number of spots on each side just by looking at them.

Then I explained at our planning meeting what subitizing/subitize means, its funny I always remember words that I haven't come across before.

Motherclangerx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)