Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Circle Time On 'changes' For Interview

Hi,

This is my first post so I hope I have done it right! I have an interview next week and need to teach a 15 minute circle time around the theme of changes. I would really appreciate any help as I havent taught this theme before and Im a bit stumped.

How about looking at seasons?? You could show pictures of the same tree in the

different seasons and then discuss changes and maybe make weather boxes to

use as props xx

Edited by Guest

Do you mean circle time or whole group time? To me circle time means a PSE activity where the children are in a circle and use a speaking object such as a shell to share thoughts and feelings. I would need to have this clarified before planning my activity on changes.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. The letter they sent says to plan a 15 minute circle time around the theme of change, for a group of 10 children. No other information was given.

I was thinking something around the vert hungry caterpillar because we have been doing that in school. However Im not sure if I should be looking at changes from the seal program.

For what it's worth I would be looking at circle time and PSE. You may find something on change in the SEAL materials for Early Years which could be appropriate, especially as the children will possibly be moving on to another class. In fact there is a unit here.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/153913

I would also have a look at Jenny Mosley and her materials on quality circle time. There is a good warm up activity where the children change places in the circle which could lead to discussion on change. The little book of circle time might also have some suggestions on change.

SEAL is high on the Governments agenda at the moment and Jim Rose tackled this in his recent report. It may be why you have been asked to do this.

There's a cute song that i've used with my class this year called The Fuzzy Caterpillar sung to the tune of Incy Wincey Spider, it goes:

The fuzzy caterpillar

Curled upon a leaf,

Spun her little chrysalis

And then fell asleep.

While she was sleeping,

She dreamed that she could fly,

And later when she woke up

She was a butterfly!

Perhaps you could use the song to introduce the idea of change, then discuss in a 'pass the conch' circle time session. I'm just thinking of time restraints in a circle time session, reading a story might be your 15 minutes alone!

Qx

Thats a lovely song, I think ill use that with my class!

Ive decided to focus on how we have changed since we were babies and what changes we are looking forward to. Ive been gathering baby items (bottles, baby grow etc...) and similar items that relate to the children now that we can sort and use as a basis for discussion. To end I think we will do some fun games involving changing the circle such as fruit bowl.

Thanks for the suggestions :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)