Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observations

Hi,

I always try to record my observations in a positive light e.g. write what the child did and/or said and try not to write down too much about what they couldn't do, however, I sometimes feel I need to record specifically what they couldn't do or struggled with in order to properly inform my planning.

Please could you share with me how you record what the children can't do? Do you just record it in you're evaluation and only fill out observation stickies for children who have acheived or do you actually fill out a sticky for the children who have not been able to acheive the objective/struggled with a particular skill etc? Also, how much do you record when you do a focused activity? I have always followed the advice "only write down information about the children who have done something special or who have really struggled?

Thanks

Green Hippo xx

Well I tend to be very honest with my post its and observations. I note down what they can do but also what they can't do because I think that is important, however i do make sure that i record it in a postive way. J"ohn is working towards/is beginning to" or if they are not anywhere near reaching it I would put something like "John is trying to count to 10 with adult support". Tells you and other professionals what they need to know but isn't too damning when parents read it.

I would agree with Rufus - it is all in the 'way' that you write things - 'managed with just a little help' - 'given support to.....' -

that sort of thing.

It has always been my understanding that if necessary another staff member should be able to 'pick up' a child's learning journey folder and be able to identify the child's progress and next steps.

Does that help?

Sunnyday

Thanks for your replies,

I do try as Susan said to 'write what I see' - I have just been thinking about how to record the things you don't see - if that makes any sense at all? - for example, I was doing a music and movement activity - responding to The Carnival of the Animals music - objective: 'To imitate and recreate movement in reponse to music' and some of the children did not demonstrate that they could do this e.g. walking around kicking the ground - even with adult support and encouragement did not attempt to try to respond! So, should I record what I didn't see on an obs note or just make sure it's on my evaluation of the activity so I know who to target and at what level???

Thanks

Thanks for your replies,

I do try as Susan said to 'write what I see' - I have just been thinking about how to record the things you don't see - if that makes any sense at all? - for example, I was doing a music and movement activity - responding to The Carnival of the Animals music - objective: 'To imitate and recreate movement in reponse to music' and some of the children did not demonstrate that they could do this e.g. walking around kicking the ground - even with adult support and encouragement did not attempt to try to respond! So, should I record what I didn't see on an obs note or just make sure it's on my evaluation of the activity so I know who to target and at what level???

Thanks

I always think that if you record something that a child struggles with or doesn't seem to enjoy when you observe them doing a similar activity by choice at a later date it shows development and can actually be quite thrilling!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)