Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Reading In The Early Years

Hi, I'll keep this short well try to.

In my school placement one of the things i have to do is 'collect evidence of two children's progress in reading using the EYFS profile for CLL'

What does this mean I'm in reception and hear my two designated children read but what do I have to fill in/write. Got the profile as well but doesn't make any sense.

Any help would be great, thank you.

Hi

I'm not 100% sure but when you hear one of the children read I would mark evidence down next to points on reading and linking sounds and letters. So for example if they are following the words as they read they are aware that text goes from left to right. If they are blending to read CVC words then they are using phonic knowledge to read simple words etc... Any evidence just date it. I hope that helps a little.

How long is your placement and when do you begin? because it is obviously something that will need to be done over a considerable period of time in order to demonstrate progress and this term isn't the best time to begin as children will have already achieved many of the points.

agree absolutely with Marion - I would also add that it's independent application of skills that is most important to identify and note as evidence of progression towards EYFSP scale points. Those scale points are long term goals, not short term objectives so i think you need to break the task down a little into what you want to evidence progress of exactly.

That said, you can look at this a couple of ways - what is their progress in decoding skills, ie linking it to the linking sounds and letters scale and the phonics programme the school uses. If it's letters and sounds what phase are they in, how secure etc and what skills/phonemes do they still struggle with - then you can identify the progress they make in securing those parts of e.g. phase 3 they weren't so secure with. Are they beginning to move into phase 4? So what do they need develop/apply from their previous knowledge to master the next step?

You can also look at the application of reading into comprehension skills - can they talk about what they have read, do they understand the "message" the author has written? Doing this in pairs/small groups rather than 1 - 1 can lead to a more dialogic approach that gives children something to discuss and share, thus opening up opportunities for LCT scale to be looked at too.

I think progress at this point in time would be best looked at as deepening and securing skills that they have - find out what their gaps are from their class teacher to help find a starting place.

Cx

Im in placement now and it's 7 weeks in total, it is just reading one-to-one where i have to access where they are on the profile in relation to reading and linking sounds and letters, the problem is with each book they read they will be achieving the same points.

Thanks for your comments

I would agree that most of the time they are going to be achieving the same things as 7 weeks is not a huge amount of time to show progress but I would have thought as long as you are noting down your observations you should be okay. I am sure they may be at least one point that they can do by the end that they can't do now.

You might find that it helps to look at the pink and red level book band descriptors as these will show reading skills that equate to ELGs and you could look at yellow, blue, green if they show exceptional reading performance!

The two links below give good examples if you haven't got the info anywhere else:

http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/r...adingLevels.doc

www.learninglive.co.uk/teachers/primary/literacy/planning/read_write/P7_level2A.doc

Edited by SP61HJ

it might also help to remember that progress is the point they are at matched against the point they were at and is about the child's own development, whereas attainment is where you measure them against the external criteria of the EYFS/EYFSP to see where they are against national expectations etc. So they might not move in attainment but still make progress within that. If you see what i mean. A child might make good progress but still be below national expectations for example

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Stacey

I have had a SCITT student with me for the year and she had a similar assignment.However as has been pointed out you may not see a great deal of progress in 7 weeks.My student chose her 2 children in the Autumn term and had to write her assignment sring 2 so she had done a lot of tracking.

My student devised a questionnaire for the parents of the 2 children asking about reading habits at home,favourite books, who reads what to child etc she then collected lots of evidence eg she used the letters and sounds assessments to find out where the children were initially and then put phonic plan into place to support the reading.She also talked to the children about their reading habits at home and school.

As Catma says it is about the progress the children have made in many ways ,it can be that from talking to them and parents you find out just how far they have progressed in terms of enjoyment ,concentration ,talking about stories etc

good luck Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)