Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

A Trip Out On Public Transport!

We go on small trips on public transport with three adults and six children. I have a friend who takes the whole nursery on trips using the bus and trains. I feel that you need to assess the risk for each situation. I would not be confident taking the whole setting on public transport but that is a personal view x x

We have used the buses several times - they are fab and the children love it.

We normally phone the bus company to tell them we are going to be catching a particualr bus, they have even put on a double decker especially and worked out the best and cheapest deal for us.

We plan to use them lots more.

We ensure all children are seated either with an adult beside or behind (if 2 children sat together). One adult is at front, one behind and we just count to ensure we have them all before we exit.

Really simple and much cheaper than coaches.

We go on small trips on public transport with three adults and six children. I have a friend who takes the whole nursery on trips using the bus and trains. I feel that you need to assess the risk for each situation. I would not be confident taking the whole setting on public transport but that is a personal view x x

We did a great trip once. We caught the bus into town (from our very rural village), went to the library for a story session, had snack at the cafe (pre-arranged) and then caught the train back where parents were waiting to pick up. My lovely assistant arranged most of it and it probably took more planning than the D Day landings but the children had a super time. We had a 1:2 ratio plus an extra adult spare. :o

Guest Wolfie

A few years back, we took all our children on a trip to Birmingham Airport - booked a coach to take us to the train station, caught the train to the airport, took the shuttle bus into the airport and spent a couple of hours watching the planes! Best day out ever - and the children talked about it for months!

I've also taken small groups of children on the bus into town, to visit various places. Go for it!

Edited by Wolfie

OK.......you can tell how long it is since I've been on a bus.......do they have seatbelts?

Sunnyday

The bus we caught did - was the first time I had taken public transport in years too! In fact, the bus driver was most insistent that the seat belts were all done up on the children before he would pull away.

Guest Wolfie
OK.......you can tell how long it is since I've been on a bus.......do they have seatbelts?

Sunnyday

The buses that we went on didn't..... :o

We take the children on buses on a 1-2 ratio. I think its a good experience for the children as many of them travel by car nowadays and have not experienced public transport before.

strangely enough we have just informed our parents that we are taking the children on a bus ride. We're picking the bus up right outside our setting, going to a paark to feed the ducks and have a picnic and should be back just in time for hometime. We're operaing on a 1:2 ratioand I have inforned the bus company, just waiting to hear back from them. Our b

local buses dont have seat belts and I also have one memebr of staff who is vehemently against tis, so I have arranged it for a day she isn'ty working! I'm afraid I'm a bit neurotic about station platforms, so wouldn't entertain the idea of a tain journey.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)