Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Transition/learning Journals

[iHi

does any of you work closely with your local nursery. does your local nursery know about the learning journals that we now have to fill in for children, I realise that we are at the early stages of the EYFS and in the middle of the term so maybe you have not had the chance to pass on information to nursery about the children.

I am asking this because I am involved with a 0-7 pilot in sunderland which hope fully going to launch 2011 and this week i was in a workshop with my local nursery head, we were talking about transition, she is quite passionate about all areas os the childrens learning and asked if there was someway we could get together and compare notes as the saying goes. I thought it was a great idea , also would mean that all our hard work of assesments and journals would be meaningful.

do any one have any comments on that

Edited by Guest

Are you school or nursery?

At preschool we work with the schools we feed into and reception teachers are invited in to look at children's learning stories and chat informally about what information they'd like us to pass on.

hI

I am a childminder

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes - we work closely with the chilminders that bring children to our pre-school.

If you 'do' a 'forum search' you will find lots of previous threads about this subject - if I knew how to do it I would provide you with a link ....... hmmm........ need to work on that!!!

Anyway hope that helps.

Sunnyday

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes - we work closely with the chilminders that bring children to our pre-school.

If you 'do' a 'forum search' you will find lots of previous threads about this subject - if I knew how to do it I would provide you with a link ....... hmmm........ need to work on that!!!

Anyway hope that helps.

Sunnyday

Thanks I am working on the search

If you need help just shout.

We also have books called 'Keypies' which go between settings for Key Persons to note things down, any wow moments or areas of interest that children are involved in. (KEY Person Information Exchange). Is that information any use to you?

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thought I was being so good compiling a Learning Journal for one of my

mindees, also an EYFS Record for the School Nursery she would be

attending this September. I have been taking her in this term to meet

the teachers, so that she knows the Nursery and is familiar with what

goes on.

A few weeks ago her Mother told me that the family have decided to

go abroad for a year and she is not going to a Nursery School.

Last week Mum collected 3 x Learning Journals, one from her Pre-School,

one from her private nursery and one from me. (Mine was the most

detailed). Lots of the information was the same ie. Knows all her colours,

can count to 10, samples of her drawings etc. I did ask if anyone was

interested in combining journals but everyone said that Ofsted would

not allow it (evidence must be your own). Seems a bit mad - so much

work involved. Anyway, the Mum gave her daughter one of the

journals to play with, another one she binned (they are de-cluttering

before they go) and my one she said I could keep if I wanted.

I had thought perhaps Parents would want tokeep them as a reminder of their

child's early years, but I know a lot of parents don't do that now, some won't

even allow the children to display their work and so they leave it at my house.

Still I have learn't my lesson. From now on I'm only doing basis scrapbooks

It will be less work and if they get binned, it won't matter.

Laura

However, if you do make them more 'scrapbook' like they are less likely to be valued and cherished.

I really believe that documentation should be of high quality. It is really sad when parents don't recognise the hard work and value of what we do.

Having said that there will be others who cherish our records. I met up with a group of friends at the weekend, one of which was a parent whose child I minded 2yrs ago. She said he still loves to look through his learning diary and it helps him remember so much about his early years, she said " It's wonderful to have such a detailed account of my son aged 2-4, I only wish all my children had that"

comments like that make it all worth it.

I'm sure other of your parents feel the same Laura

I had a chat with one of my ex Mums this morning and in the conversation she mentioned that she absolutely loved her daughter's file - they get it out still regularly and pore over it!

Cait - that's lovely

Laura - that's just awful......I so wish that I had a record of my sons learning/progress etc. from when they were tiny.....have some of their 'works of art' but nothing written from their pre-school teachers - that would be lovely........

Sunnyday

Hi there,

My experience so far is this, took my 2.5 years obs etc to local nursery and they were just not interested, so in childs file/obs book have made a big note that hopefully one day some Ofsted inspector will read!! saying that ************* nursery were not at all interested in my observations of this particular childs development and interests!! HOPE THAT WILL NAME AND SHAME THEM IN THE FUTURE!! ( Can I also say that they were a posh private school nursery who were astonished that I had a better grading from Ofsted this year than they had!)

However I think that all of my ex mindies love their memories books they get when they leave.

I have recently had a child whom I had from a 3 month old baby till he was nearly 3, moved out of area, and sadly passed away from a brain tumour quite suddenly in June, his mother said to me at his funeral that they still have his book and it has gone into his memory box. Apparently he used to sit and look through it all the time and say the names of the children and my family. So this is something that they will treasure forever. At the funeral in the crematorium they had put lots of the photos off of a disc that I had given them onto a huge screen for everyone to see, heart wrenching to see him with my children but so glad that they are going to find comfort from them!!

So there we are thats my experience of the situation!!

Locally as far as I know there are not very many pre schools or nurserys that seem to be interested in anything that any of my cm friends have offered!! Please also note that the obs etc must have been good ones and we must be doing something correct because we all got Outstanding gradings this year!!

Chuck

Locally as far as I know there are not very many pre schools or nurserys that seem to be interested in anything that any of my cm friends have offered!!

Well we would absolutely love it if a childminder came to us with armfuls of observations! We have a lot to learn from childminders I think - many more childminders than group settngs have achieved an Outstanding Ofsted. Working alongside outstanding providers can only help us develop our own skills and practice - a definite win-win situation both for us as practitioners, but also the children we care for.

Shame you're a bit far away from me, CT!

Maz

we had a child leave us last summer we had just started the learning journeys so we gave mum her childs at the end of term and she was happy with it,

over the next 6 months she had a nightmare with the new setting and returned to us, thankfully because mum had cherished and kept the learning journey we were able to say bring it back and we can carry on where we left off, not a problem and also it was great to add to, seeing the change just in those 6 months.

we had a child leave us last summer we had just started the learning journeys so we gave mum her childs at the end of term and she was happy with it,

over the next 6 months she had a nightmare with the new setting and returned to us, thankfully because mum had cherished and kept the learning journey we were able to say bring it back and we can carry on where we left off, not a problem and also it was great to add to, seeing the change just in those 6 months.

Yes, we had similar too, a child left last summer to join the school nursery but didn't want to go. We said goodbye and handed the learning story over and on the first day back in September she landed back with a tear-stained face, clutching the file!

Hi there,

My experience so far is this, took my 2.5 years obs etc to local nursery and they were just not interested, so in childs file/obs book have made a big note that hopefully one day some Ofsted inspector will read!! saying that ************* nursery were not at all interested in my observations of this particular childs development and interests!! HOPE THAT WILL NAME AND SHAME THEM IN THE FUTURE!! ( Can I also say that they were a posh private school nursery who were astonished that I had a better grading from Ofsted this year than they had!)

However I think that all of my ex mindies love their memories books they get when they leave.

I have recently had a child whom I had from a 3 month old baby till he was nearly 3, moved out of area, and sadly passed away from a brain tumour quite suddenly in June, his mother said to me at his funeral that they still have his book and it has gone into his memory box. Apparently he used to sit and look through it all the time and say the names of the children and my family. So this is something that they will treasure forever. At the funeral in the crematorium they had put lots of the photos off of a disc that I had given them onto a huge screen for everyone to see, heart wrenching to see him with my children but so glad that they are going to find comfort from them!!

So there we are thats my experience of the situation!!

Locally as far as I know there are not very many pre schools or nurserys that seem to be interested in anything that any of my cm friends have offered!! Please also note that the obs etc must have been good ones and we must be doing something correct because we all got Outstanding gradings this year!!

Chuck

Hi

just read this . you must have been so sad yet so proud that you were able to give the parents some photograghs for there memory

god bless you and the family

ziller

Hi

teresa

just read this . you must have been so sad yet so proud that you were able to give the parents some photograghs for there memory

god bless you and the family

ziller

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)