Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Commitee

hi

can anyone advise how they would approach the staff refusing to go on the annual playgroup trip

we intend to go to an indoor soft play they think it will be too stressfull!

They should not be in the job then , why should children miss out cause of them ,we go to play centre we ask parents if they would like to come along it gets them to have coffee chat meet other parents also have fun too !

Edited by bubblybee3107

hi

can anyone advise how they would approach the staff refusing to go on the annual playgroup trip

we intend to go to an indoor soft play they think it will be too stressfull!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have they suggested an alternative trip?

Has the trip already been 'announced' - if not would you consider changing to something that staff would be happier with?

Sunnyday

If they refuse to go because they think it will be stressful maybe they would like the day off without pay. Isnt it in you contracts that staff do other things as needed for the continued smooth running of the group? I know that little clause was in mine at playgroup, dont know about other settings though.

lots of variables depending on circumstances...

are parents going? who will be responsible or children? how long? risk assessments what do they give you? paid or unpaid time? normal hours or out of hours?

and after all that, I have had a trip as mentioned, actually was a farm park which had one, and was where it was focused because of the weather. It was very stressful... parents were there but seemed to think as staff were there too they could ignore the children and leave them to us! we were unable to keep tabs on all children in such an area despite it supposed to be a safe area some of the slides were scary and the younger ones just had to go on them.. I was so tired at end of the day and we never went back!

Inge

Welcome to the Forum, stmahwplaygroup!

This is a tricky one: fraught with difficulties. If you are paying them to go on the trip and it is in their contract (or even has been a feature of their employment for a few years without being added to their contracts, I think) then I don't really see how they can refuse to go if it is their normal working day. That said, I guess this also depends on whether they are expected to go in their own cars when petrol money/travelling would need to be paid too.

However if their attendance is voluntary, or you aren't paying them for the whole time they will be there then the situation is a little less clear. I don't think in this situation their attendance would be obligatory (although you might argue that they should go for the length of their usual working day).

In any case can you really insist they go? I can only imagine the atmosphere if they all went along grudgingly - and I wonder too whether they were consulted about where to go?

Good luck in getting it resolved - don't really think I've helped much have I? :o

Congratulations on making your first post - I hope its the first of many!

Maz

it always helps if they are expected to attend that they have some input..

Yes. That's why we're off to Legoland next week when I would rather be going on a nice train ride to Henley. But hang on - isn't it regatta week next week? :o Perhaps they're cleverer than me after all! xD

Maz

Hi

There are lots of things to consider on this. Are you paying the staff? Risk assessments? transport? Who is responsible / looking after children.

I know now that my childrren are 8 and 10 yrs, I feel that I will be very pleased not to see another soft play ever again in my life. To busy, dirty, hot, expensive. A nice walk in the woods perhaps now.

Perhaps the staff should be more involved in the decisions? My parents just put a note on our chalkboard e.g. 'soft play Thursday 2pm' and anyone goes along that wants to. Although we do have an end of year picnic at the park but out of session time.

Hope this helps.

I must admit, my first thought was, have the staff been included in the planning?

I wouldn't be happy taking our children to a soft play area either. Our original plan was for the local park but then it was vandalised so is no longer safe :o

Our next option has been for 2 trips to the botanic gardens. We've loved it for about 3 years running. The reason we were avoiding it this year is because we now operate from 9 - 3 so we'll need to do 2 trips which will be expensive if our grant doesn't come through.

Sam

reading though these makes me feel we have been offering a lot of the other side of the fence perspective, perhaps ypu could look at why they do not want to come and find answers to their objections

are they paid.. offer pay... ( we used to get a full day pay for any trips even if they were half day ones)

who is responsible for children.. if parents make sure they are fully aware, if staff ensure there is a very high ratio of 1 adult to 2 children

hours, ensure they fit in with normal working hours and no cause staff to need to organise own childcare etc

do risk assessments and show them the risks involved and how they are to be minimised..

ask why it will be stressful and try to alleviate it as much as possible for them

I have to assume committee are doing all the relative jobs for this such as letters to parents, transport, working out numbers attending, registers, equipment needed, first aid risk assessment any charges collected etc etc.. and it is not the idea of this on top of normal work which is also putting off wanting to do any trip.

Inge

Guest MaryEMac

Our staff are not expected to go on the end of year trip but we can if we want to. It is made clear that if staff go that they will not be responsible for the children if their parents are there.This year none of us are going but we will be in playgroup to get on with the assessment records and learning journals.

Mary

As a pretty small sessional playgroup our summer trip involves parents taking their kids and staff coming along as well.

Committee decides where we go (staff do input with suggestions) but it is our decision, we are paying at the end of the day. As chair I would be very peeved if the staff turned round and said they refused to go, however I am wondering if this is an indication of a tense relationship at the moment?

hi

thanks for all your advice,commitee have decided trip is going ahead !

staff concerns were they would have to be responsible for all children but commitee have confirmed we will all be involved , trip in normal working hours, coach transport provided,risk assesment done its a toddler session so no children over 4 so we will see how it goes if !

thanks again for your input great sight!

I wish our committee would read this!

I did ask the committee to sort out the trip this year but guess what, they haven't done anything apart from bring me in a few leaflets. i have booked the butterfly farm (we are doing mini beasts) and am hoping for good weather as there is a lovely playground nearby.

We hope most parents will come, but staff will be there to look after any uncaccompanied childrem and will be paid for the whole day (longer than normal hours) and for 2 staff it will be an extra day. The trip will be free for parents and kids as we are lucky to be in a good position at the moment. Parents will be expected to be responsible for their own children.

I wasn't prepared to do a trip to somewhere I didn't personally know unless someone else could do risk assessments etc and no one else would do that (surprise surprise) so I'm getting rather fed up with the parents (and a staff member) who say -ooh we don't like the butterfly farm, don't think we'll come.........Grrrr!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)