Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Accident Report Forms

At my pre-school i always get the parent to sign our forms but at school my own children come home with my own copy of the accident report. i.e your child.... had an accident today. description.. treatment.. by... is this not suitable for pre-school too? Does anyone else just hand out the form unsigned by the parent?

I always get a parent to sign our accident book or the person collecting the child, and hand out a "what to do form" if they have had a head bump and show any signs or symptoms of a more serious nature later in the day.

When my chlidren were younger at primary school we never had to sign an accident book and only as the youngest was at school did I ever receive any approach from a member of staff to say he had had a fall in the playground etc. The only evidence was usually a bandage etc. for the older ones, but have to say none of them ever had any serious accidents.

I think you need something signed to cover your setting as evidence but it seems strange schools dont do the same my children came out of school with various cuts, bumps and bruises but I dont remember ever signing a school accident book

it does sound a simple idea giving parents a copy of the accident form it would save a bit of time Ive lost count of the times we have had a bump and the child had gone before I can grab them to sign the book and I end up chasing them out to the car

What about if they signed the log to say they did get a copy. Because then you have the signature as your evidence, they got the form on the day to explain marks etc but you don't go chasing them out to the car or kicking yourself when you didn't get to them?? i.e they signed the log whenever they were next available .

Edited by Guest

In the schools I work in (same authority) they seem to have different systems! :o

One school has a note explaining what it was, who treated the child, what was done, and on head forms a cross is put on the drawing of the head to show where the bump occurred. Then, I have it sign it to say I observed the child in class to what time. The parents are not asked to sign anything.

Another school has the note for bumps and other injuries, but I don't have to sign, but the Head or DH in their absence signs!

Another school only gives out head letters with details who treated and NO ONE signs!

Very confusing! But is is interesting that although I always send the letters out in the child's hand, some seem to then reside in the reading book bag with all the other letters ... xD

We always get our parents to sign the accident book.

Had 2 members of staff go on their update first aid course the other week. One thing we learnt from this is accident forms should only be completed in black ink, to make then legal documents.

Did others know this?

Biddy

Had 2 members of staff go on their update first aid course the other week. One thing we learnt from this is accident forms should only be completed in black ink, to make then legal documents.

Did others know this?

Biddy

Crikey! No I didn't know that - sure most of mine will be in 'blue'......honestly whatever next! :o

Thanks for this info.

Sunnyday

No, I didn't know that. If it's near the end of a session i use whatever pen I can find! I've never heard of that. Perhaps I'll stick to the signing and keep a black pen with a clip top attached to the accident folder!! Thank you for all the replies! x

Did others know this?

Biddy

better stop completing them in lipstick then......

LOL

Ofsted dont like it if you use cayons either!!! not even if its a black crayon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)