Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Gastroenteritis!

I look after a 1 year old and share the child with a another childminder.

The other childminder sent child home Thursday because they was very sick, parent collected and made an appt with the doctor.

This appointment was made because the child has not been well for a good couple of months with virus', put on antibiotics and kept on a liquid diet upon the advice of the Health Visitor.

They was due to come to me today but Mum kept them off because they was screaming and in a lot of pain and took them to the hospital yesterday who diagnosed gastroenteritis and told mum to go to the dr's today.

Dr has said that child is ok and not contagious and can return to childcare but it may take up to a month to recover with someone so little.

The problem we have is that the other minder was looking after another child on thursday who was up all night with sickness so altho dr has said it's not contagious we are not so sure.

parent has basically asked us if we are happy to have the child and we are unsure whether to say yes and take the chance that child ok and not going to pass it on to anyone else or whether we should ask them to stay away this week and see how they are for next week.

Child has been and will be suffering from diorrehea too!

Any help or advice would be appreciated! We asked for a note off the dr to say she's not infectious but they have refused to do it

Thanks Jennie

ditto panders,

and we would send the children home after 3 loose nappies - some parents wouldnt share that info - trying to hide the fact their child is ill.

You can look at the schools guidance which I would think applies to children in any daycare situation too. 48 hours exclusion from the last bout of sickness etc is fairly standard now.

guidance poster here

If you look at the title it does cover all childcare. It may be worth printing and ordering acopy of this for your setting?

Also found this quote on an NHS site

"Anyone with gastroenteritis should be regarded as potentially infectious and should normally be excluded from work, school, or other institutional settings until they have been free from diarrhoea and/or vomiting for at least 48 hours"

Edited by surfer

we were told by our LA 48 hours and we're a sessional preschool so I think thats the rule right across the childcare field

how is gastroenteritis passed on if its not contagious?

an easy way to remember how to spell Diarrhoea

D = Diane

I = is

A= A

R = Ravishing

R = Red

H = Head

O= of

E = Exceptional

A = Attitude

I never remember it but once I hace got to DIAR I can find the rest in a dictionary

Edited by Alison

Thanks all for your replies!

Of course I knew the answer but sometimes you doubt yourself!

These dr's are funny people!

Jennie

I may be being a bit cynical here, but did the Dr. actually speak to you, or was what he said reported to you. I have been told this on occasions over various illnesses, and one time I was concerned enough to check it out. On that occasion he hadn't said anything of the sort. :o

I may be being a bit cynical here, but did the Dr. actually speak to you, or was what he said reported to you. I have been told this on occasions over various illnesses, and one time I was concerned enough to check it out. On that occasion he hadn't said anything of the sort. xD

You read my thoughts! :o

• 4 weeks later...

You need to get the parent's permission to speak to the doctor direct. I happen to know that babies and toddlers can develop mild food intolerances after gastroenteritis which can give them loose nappies for some weeks afterwards. This could be an explanation but I would need to hear it first hand from a medic before I took a child back with persistent diarrhoea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)