Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Ofsted Judgements

Hi All

I am a teacher in a school attached Nursery - Ofsted have been in for 30 minutes during small group time only - yet they spend all day in PVAs.

How can we be judged fairly? Would like views from other school attached nursery teachers on this.

Thanks

jenny

It does seem so unfair on both counts if schools only get 30 minutes and little chance to show what they do and we, PVI's get at least 1 whole day if we are open all day - if not 2 - as we did last time round. Where is the parity and balance between both sectors that "they" the powers that be keep spouting about. :o

It does vary an awful lot within the PVI sector too. I have supported settings this year who have had anything ranging from 2 hours to 2 whole mornings.

Plus in a school there will usually more classes or groups to observe so they couldn't possibly spend much more than half an hour or so in each one (depending on what their focus is going to be they will spend more time in some age groups than others)

Our school and nursery were inspected in Feb 2009.

(Our nursery is LA maintained and private)

The private bit of the nursery had been inspected (as it was newly opened) in May 2008.

The inspector visited for 2 days..... probably half of each day.

Previous inspection (2001) had shown the nursery to be a strength of the school.

I think these inspection reports and the Headteachers school SEF give the inspectors an opinion before they set foot in nursery.

On the Feb inspection they spent very little time at all with us whilst we were working but a long time talking to us at the end of the day.

Our local authority has recently been through an educational review with many schools cllosing and many schools being well over their due date for inspection....... maybe this round for us anyway was just to catch up!!

Yes schools currently get 2 days notice although the no notice inspection pilots are happening in some areas.

Personally I don't think having notice is useful as it only causes some people to panic/worry unnecessarily especially if they never set foot in your classroom.

Edited by Marion

Welcome to the forum Jenny.

I had no idea that this was happening - seems really unfair to me - may I ask did you have a completed SEF?

Sunnyday

Hi Sunnyday

Worked with the head to complete the EYFS sections but there was no discussion with the inspectors about the SEF and they did not have the 'time' to return for child-initiated play in either session on their second day!

Jenny

But I bet you got told they were coming????

Hi Sadie

Yes we had two days notice but this did not change anything. Would be quite happy with no notice. The issue is being able to show them how we operate in Nursery in 30 minutes - you can't as far as I can see.

Jenny

I presume you were inspected as part of the school's inspection to make it a single inspection event as it was primarily a section 5 school inspection?? Would you therefore have a separate inspection through the Early Years inspection programme at another time? I'm not entirely sure but is the focus of the section 5 different if they are looking at linked PV provision?

In schools they will often spend very little time in the class to be honest and the SEF/leadership conversations is a lot of the evidence about how the setting runs.

Under the final new Ofsted framework from Sept there will be a much bigger focus on seeing learning taking place so they will be in classes more (again).

Schools in category may receive no notice inspections, schools who got satisfactory may get a follow up a year on which happens already. One of mine is braced for no notice in Sept. All our schools now have to have a no notice inspection protocol to follow.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)