Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Monitoring The Outdoor Area

Hi all, had a lovely summer but I am already getting agitated about organising the coming year. I am going into Nursery in a new school. I haven't had Nursery for a while but had reception last year. I am trying to fathom out how to manage free flow from indoors to outdoors so that I know which children are where during the session. Can anyone please give me some of their ideas about how to approach this?

I was thinking of using a similar system to self registration and getting children to velcro their names up onto a picture that has limited spaces (about half the class) but not sure if this will be too much for Nursery children to cope with straight away. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

It is a system that can work but needs some scaffolding sometimes with younger children, I used to always let the children add a picture of their choice to the name cards so they could use visual recognition too until they had recognition of their own name if they didn't know it already. In my nursery class (39 chn/ 3 adults) we always had 1 adult working outside and didn't really worry too much about how many children were out there. If most of them went out we would adjust and another adult would go out if necessary. But it worked ok. For me the secret was in having a sense of continuous provision, ie stuff they always had in the form of flexible resources so they could use them fairly independently and safely thus avoiding too much "supervision". Also ensuring the adult directed activities were on a large enough scale for children to sustain them if the adult had to deal with anything.

Cx

In my nursery class (39 chn/ 3 adults) we always had 1 adult working outside and didn't really worry too much about how many children were out there. If most of them went out we would adjust and another adult would go out if necessary. But it worked ok

Same for us. To have to stop and register would pause the freeflow as children do flit in and out as they see inside and outside as one room.The staff have the general roles-Outside, Inside, Support so if the numbers inside drop below 12 the support person goes out.

Hi, I am in a pre-school with 26 children each session. We too have free flow and for the same reasons as Biccy do not ask children to register themselves as inside/outdoors. I don't worry about where individual children are I just have a recording sheet which, once the door is opened for outdoor access we use to record a time/headcount of children every 15-20 minutes which just gives peace of mind that all children are present.

thank you so much. I love the idea of a time related head count and float adult....an idea I think I will have a go at. What about focused tasks? Should there be one inside and outside? And should I ensure all children visit all of the activities every day/ at least each week? Feeling very nervous now!!!

And should I ensure all children visit all of the activities every day

No - you'll go mad. Think about the intended learning rather than the activities - different activities can deliver the same learning opps in different areas of provision across a week/period of time so children with different interests can access the same learning through different media etc etc.

Have fun!

Cx

Edited by catma

Hi, I am in a pre-school with 26 children each session. We too have free flow and for the same reasons as Biccy do not ask children to register themselves as inside/outdoors. I don't worry about where individual children are I just have a recording sheet which, once the door is opened for outdoor access we use to record a time/headcount of children every 15-20 minutes which just gives peace of mind that all children are present.

Hello there,

Can you please :o upload the recording sheet l am trying to devise one but can't seem to, much appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)