Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Reception And Rights Of The Child

as a primary school we are discussing the rights of the child and putting up displays related to some of the articles. is it appropriate for reception class to be taking part seeing as they have just started school and i am not sure if they would understand the concept. if so does anyone have any ideas of what i could do

jobags

Im not quite sure what exactly youre focusing on but everyone has a right to be save and to feel safe. We have adopted the mantra that we keep ourselves and others safe in our school and you could certainly tackle something along the lines of being a kind friend, playing safely etc, couldnt you?

Im not quite sure what exactly youre focusing on but everyone has a right to be save and to feel safe. We have adopted the mantra that we keep ourselves and others safe in our school and you could certainly tackle something along the lines of being a kind friend, playing safely etc, couldnt you?

thank you i especially like your quote i think i will use that if you don't mind

Perhaps you could look at some pictures of children showing different emotions, consider why they might feel a particular way and whether what caused it is right or not.

I don't think they are too young to understand that they have certain rights, to feel safe, be fed, play, etc. It just needs to be in terms that they can relate to personally.

And it doesn't have to be the big issues either - our two and a half year olds know that one of the ways we keep each other safe is by holding hands when we walk through the village to the allotment. They know that otherwise they might get squished by a car if they run off, because one of the older boys is always telling them so!

Maz

Save the Children offer some brilliant early years activites based on rights for children.....also Amnesty International have some ideas....I think the Save the Children website have some downloadable stuff - there are some brilliant books too that can support the idea of rights for children. Also the right children have to make decisions and have a voice in the classroom could be discussed...school council....etc their opinions valued...

ABCChapter2en.pdf

ABCChapter2en.pdf

Sorry I put two attachments in xD:o:(:(

Just wanted to add......YES definetly they are old enough to understand the concept and it offers a wonderful introduction into different cultures and here is a quote from an essay I have done about rights

"Learning about human rights should not be an incidental lesson that slots into the weekly plans once a term; it should be a compulsory element of a child’s learning throughout their educational experience. Fostering a culture of reciprocal respect for others could set foundations for morality in life."

Ok you can tell I feel strongly about this....

Edited by Guest

Save the Children offer some brilliant early years activites based on rights for children.....also Amnesty International have some ideas....I think the Save the Children website have some downloadable stuff - there are some brilliant books too that can support the idea of rights for children. Also the right children have to make decisions and have a voice in the classroom could be discussed...school council....etc their opinions valued...

Thank you shire! for this paper..full of ideas..have you used any of them?

Redbase :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)