Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Gentle Questions To Show Impact

Hi, I've been racking my brains on this one.

I need to come up with about 12 questions to ask at the start of our new 'nurture type' group. The questions will be asked both at the start of the programme ( about 10 weeks) and also at the end.

The problem is how do you ask very open questions in a 'gentle' way.

things like eg. How do you feel about attending this group?

What types of play activities do you do with your children?

We need to measure impact........ Would love some suggestions. Or if you have done something similar i would love to see how you recorded the impact.

thank you so much. Sunshine :o

Hi Sunshine,

I think if you ask the average 5 year old a question like that, the probable answer would be a muttered 'okay'!

How about giving them a range of faces on cards to express their emotions? For instance, sad, happy, interested, excited, etc. You could talk through the emotions as a warm up, then get them to choose the face that best fits your question.

When you ask small children questions, I think any feeling of fear or worry comes from having to give an answer, rather than from the question itself.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks but maybe should explain. The questions are for the parents in this group not to ask the children. It is a group of parents who will attend for the 10 weeks.

:o

Hi, I've been racking my brains on this one.

I need to come up with about 12 questions to ask at the start of our new 'nurture type' group. The questions will be asked both at the start of the programme ( about 10 weeks) and also at the end.

The problem is how do you ask very open questions in a 'gentle' way.

things like eg. How do you feel about attending this group?

What types of play activities do you do with your children?

We need to measure impact........ Would love some suggestions. Or if you have done something similar i would love to see how you recorded the impact.

thank you so much. Sunshine :o

Hi

i know how you feel when i first opened, i decided to ask these type of gentle questions, i took the guidence from the parent/carer, find an open ended question and they will open the subject for you.

Many moons ago when I did some adult courses I used to start with a 'hopes and fears' (about the course) excersise.

Just have a small piece of paper with these two words written on it and a space for just one or two comments, it is optional for parents to put their name to it or not. When done they hand in and you can read a few out which enables the parents to learn that they have 'common ground' with other parents present.

Comments will vary from personal issues, ie: worried about childcare whilst attending (fears), to personal goals, ie: Really looking forward to learning about new ways to play with my 3 yr old. (hopes)

Keep hold of all the pieces of paper and at the end of the course, read them out again and ask parents to indicate on their feedback forms were your fears relinquished (dealt with)?, were your hopes met?

Hope this helps and good luck with the course. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)