Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Can You Colour Salt Dough?

I am planning and activity for a group of reception children using coloured dough to make ladybirds. I have planned to use playdough but it would be nice to be able to use the ladybird for a later weighing activity so I wondered about using salt dough.

Can I add food colouring to the dough mix to produce some black and some red and then cook them or would I need to cook them and get the children to paint them later?

That's a great idea, Sue, which I would love to do in an ideal world but unfortunately I have a very limited number of short sessions with this group and the activities have to centre around maths for a FD assignment. I'm keen to make sure the activities are set up to be as successful as possible before I start.

I'm not used to working with this age group and I'm unlikely to know the children well. It will already be a very steep learning curve.

It isn't the way I would work out of choice but I can't really plan the type of activities I need to do for the baby I childmind so I have to volunteer in another setting.

I see,

Well, you can get the maths in by weighing, comparing etc...How many drops of colour... err get the drift? Mathematical vocabulary?

Can you set up some kind of progression for the sessions you have so that there is a thread connecting them and they will cover all your FD needs - sorry that last bit was me thinking sideways!

Sue

I could do with a bit more sideways thinking myself!

I'm trying to plan six activities to implement over six short sessions, one a week. I have the planning that the teacher would like to have covered for maths during that week and I need to plan activities which cover some of them and are fairly safe in terms of success as I don't know the children well.

They also have to tick all of the boxes for the FD like being play based, following children's interests, including some ICT, being differentiated, supporting positive learning dispositions and holistic development, etc, etc.

Oh and the thread I need to follow throughout is links with The Bad Tempered Ladybird. I haven't actually seen a copy of the book yet because Amazon seem to be on a go slow (but I have at least found out what the story entails!)and I am due to show the teacher my activity plans on Tuesday afternoon.

It'll be fine :o

If I've wanted coloured salt dough I have left it to dry naturally in a warm place (usually on the floor when everyones gone home as we have underfloor heating).Using an oven is only to speed up the process which can be useful but does make the item brown.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)