Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Playing With Compost

Just wondering what other settings do if they allow children to play with compost and if so do the children wear gardening gloves? Also if you do let them play with the compost with no gloves, do you do a risk assessment for this area of play.

Looking forward to any comments

Our children play with mud, leaves, etc, whatever they can find in the playground. They mix it with water from the water tray and are never happier!

No complaints from parents - no problems with the children - they need exposure to some germs to build up immunity.

Yes it does sound ridiculous, but if it is bought compost made from commercial waste, rather than home-made or the natural breakdown of vegetable matter in the woods for example, it isn't actually as silly as it sounds. Sterile compost just means that it has been through a high temperature process to kill any seeds left in it and to remove heavy metals and infectious organisms, which can damage plants and get into the human food chain. If you have bought commercial recycled compost it is likely to be what is called sterile compost.

sorry only teasing no harm ment.................... My children love nothing more than mud pies the wetter and muddier the better

But you are all right tho there are dangers in the soil and you must wash hands especially careful if pregnant

especially careful if pregnant

Here's hoping that doesnt apply to the children xD:o

Im thinking of a tray full of leaves with hidden animals for our messy next week...any problems with that?

Plastic animals I hasten to add!

Edited by marley

Reading all these messages made me remember something I read called "When we were young" have attached it for you to read

:o

Also a link to the Mindstretchers website here

and the community playthings article the mud centre

Compost is only the beginning!!!

xD:(:(

The 'When we were Young' I love it, love it, love it!!!

Edited by sunnyday

Gosh, that reminds me of how we used to play up by the old quarry, no fence at the edge, we'd peer over it. Mind you, we also spent a fair bit of time torturing my poor little cousin - we gave him all the worst roles in our Blake's 7 games.

We are planting bulbs at the moment and we are wearing gloves for that, some of them can cause an allergic reaction.

I want to find space at our setting for a compost heap - then we can make our own non sterile compost :o

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It obviously sparked a discussion, I loved the "when we were young" by surfer. :o

I shall now use compost for the children to play with knowing other professionals use it with out gloves. Although interesting point about when planting bulbs from Suzie. I was just slightly concerned as we have a health and safety officer as a parent who does advise us on health and safety matters and she may pick up on this so I need to be ready and prepared with a risk assessment if necessary!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)