Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Photographs In Learning Journals

Hi

I use photos in my Learning Journals. I have used a variety of methods to get the parents more involved with them and so they are now looking through them regularly (yay!).

The photos I have in them sometimes have other children in the class in the background (as is the case when you're snapping 'in the moment'). The parents are fine about this- but I would like some written evidence! If you use Learning Journals/Journeys do you send a letter home for parental permission for photos?

The policy is worded like this : -

When a child is accepted for the Preschool, the parent is asked if they agree to the child being photographed by a member of staff or individual validated by the Preschool. This enables the Preschool to proceed with the taking of photographs for publicity shots, evidence of children participating in activities, pictures for displays, children’s folders, evidence portfolios and at special occasions such as Christmas.

Every parent has the right to refuse this request, in which case the child must not be photographed by any member of staff, by a parent, or by any outsider without the express permission for that occasion of the parent with whom the Preschool has a contract.

While pictures of children may be used as part of the publicity of the Preschool, no individually identifiable pictures of children will be displayed on the Preschool web site. No pictures will be made available to anyone other than the child’s Parents without their express permission.

Where pictures are made available to the press or television, they will not be released with the names of children unless the parent gives their permission for this to be done.

Where pictures are taken of the whole Preschool (for example by the local newspaper) the parents of children who have opted out of having the child photographed will be contacted to allow them to rescind their decision.

Photographs are stored on a password-protected computer and on CDs which are stored in the lockable filing cabinet. Parents may request copies of photographs on disk at any time,

Guest eagleeye

When I met the parents in summer term before the chidlren started, I explained about the photos and how they would be in photos in other childrens learning journeys. I talked about how nice it was for the children to see phtos of their friends in their learning journey and the parents all signed a consent form to allow this.

we also ask for permission for staff to take photographs for developmental files, publicity, village newsletters, displays, although the children won't be identified.

Only happened once but it is a nightmare when one parent says NO!! :oxD

Also, we had a parent who, when they child moved on to school, asked for all the photographs of her child to be returned and removed from all records. - managed to persuade her that wasn't practical :(

Usually parents like the idea of photographs of their child for all sorts of reasons, we also offer nice 'posed' ones for the parents to buy which helps with the cost of printing out ones for their files!

I thought it was standard to ask permission, especially if photos are used on the internet.

we ask for permission for photo's to be taken and observations done o our registration forms. we find it's easier than having lots of different forms for them to sign. same as permission for speaking to health visitor and emergency permission for hopsitals.

We explain what they are all for and then its over and done with.

We do as other posters - but what we also do now is get the parents to sigh an additonal slip saying they are happy for 'multi child' photos to be used in profile books and that when these books come into parents possession then no images will be reproduced and put on social networking sites etc. We then put this just inside the front cover as a 'reminder'

xx

We have written permission too :o

We have a photograph policy which all parents read prior/on admission of their child and it comes with an accompanying form. The policy explains all the ins and outs of taking photos, storage, printing, usage etc etc and explains that children could appear in group photos which go in other childrens learning journeys.

Here is the permission form in case it is of any use

Photograph_Permission_Form.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)