Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Information Sharing

Hi all

Hope this isn't too much of a 'yawn topic'..........

Having had my mind focussed by my recent SIP visit - she told me I need to have 'addresses of other providers/carers on file' - I was then reminded that I really need to do something about sharing info. with other settings/childminders.........

I realise, of course, that we have discussed this before..........just wondered if anyone was having any luck! :o

Sunnyday

Gosh Sunny I think this is a really hard one.

We tend to do it on an informal ad hoc basis and it only applies to a couple of our children.

I do feel it's quite a big 'ask', especially for those of us in PVI settings.

That doesn't answer your question at all, but I didn't want to read and run! :o

we have just done a letter for parents to complete to say whether child attends other settings - if so name and address of setting and key person - we will then write to these ,keeping a copy for ourselves which should satisfy ofsted and then use small books in book bags for parents to pass on - whether they do and whether other setting complete it e will wait and see x

in our recent ofsted this was a big one we did not contact the only child in pre-school who attends another setting she did not write it on her registration form we found out by chance 2 weeks before our visit. we do converse informally with 2 schools for the children who attend our after school and they gave us a thumbs up for our transition work but we still got satisfactory because of this one child. I have since contacted the other setting still waiting to hear from them.

sue

As you know, we have our Keypie's which Mrs O loved, plus the sticker inside which quite clearly states that it's us who has instigated the contact, and why.

At the moment we haven't any children who have shared care, but I anticipate that this will change as the year goes on. We had 3 last year and apart from an initial comment in the Keypie, the nursery didn't bother with it at all. I saw one of the staff when I was in Tesco, and she said "well, we can't be writing things for you every week you know, You do have to make your own observations, (flippin' cheek) and we do have 22 children in the class to think about too" I told her that I quite understood her point of view, and yes, it was hard to find time sometimes, but at least they were just mornings with 22 whereas we are full day with 35" and walked off! (A kind of 'stick that in your pipe and smoke it')

Still, at least we know we tried, and as I say, Mrs O loved it!

Thanks Cait - I do have your 'keypie' labels somewhere on my computer - at least I hope I do!!! xD

I am going to get things moving with this info. sharing........have tried before without sucess :o feel a little surprised and frustrated that 'other' settings seem to be either unaware of the need for this or rather like your 'lady' are not prepared to play ball.........they can't be fsf users that's all I can say!!! :(

well you'll get the ofsted brownie points if you can show you have at least tried!

That's it in a nutshell Cait! I wonder what studies have shown that this will actually make a difference to the children in our care.

Ah - no doubt someone will come along and point me in the direction of such studies/research!

Have to say that just now it certainly feels as though I am 'doing it for Ofsted'! xD:o

Sooooo..........

Have added this to my newsletter.........

INFORMATION SHARING

The EYFS Statutory Guidance requires us to share information with other Early Years providers - pre-schools, nurseries, childminders that also provide care for your children - if applicable, would you be kind enough to complete the attached form and return it to pre-school at your earliest convenience.

What do you think? Any good/rubbish! :(:o

Panders and blondie have kindly shared their forms/letters with me through pm(s) - thank you kindly ladies! xD

Sunnyday

Yes you will need parent's permission for that. If they are Ofsted Registered childminders, they will already be keeping records themselves, the childminder one of our children goes to keeps the most fantastic daily diaries on all the children she looks after and we just contribute to that, rather than have her fill something else in as well.

Hi sunny day

how you ?

We have tried with 2 settings and have had nothing back but we will keep sending out what we are doing and planning for these children because at least we are trying and showing that by doing this will help plan for these childtren who divide time between two settings

We have also tried to share information, sending stuff out, etc but very little/nothing comes back. What bothers me is that another setting got praise in their Ofsted report for sharing information and I know they don't share with us (although they take), so I'm not sure who they are sharing with. I just hope we get the same inspector and she believes we share information.

We have also tried to share information, sending stuff out, etc but very little/nothing comes back. What bothers me is that another setting got praise in their Ofsted report for sharing information and I know they don't share with us (although they take), so I'm not sure who they are sharing with. I just hope we get the same inspector and she believes we share information.

:o That's not good - do you keep a record of what you have sent them and something to show that it is you that instigated info. sharing?

Yeah we do but I'm thinking that will only help us prove we share and not that they don't. I know I should be bigger than this but it does rankle a little.

I know exactly what you are feeling and I made it quite plain to Mrs O that we instigated the KEYPIEs and wrote in them at least weekly, we only ever got one response in them and that was in the first week which was of the "Johnny had a nice time in the sand today" type of really useful comment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)