Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Managing Observation In A Mixed Age Class

Hi I have just joined this site as I am wanting to find out from others in my situation ( R and Y1 class )how you manage to organise observations, self initiated activities, outdoor play , APP etc etc and get it all right!! I feel that whatever I do something has to give - what does anyone else think?

I treat mine as a whole class, as opposed to 2 year groups, and some of my YR are more able than the Y1s. They all get the same opportuntities for child initiated, outdoors and adult focus activities. However, I should add that I only have a few young/weak Y1s, rather than the whole year group. My more able sometimes do things that are less adult focused, to encourage their independence, but it depends on what they are doing, what I want to teach/them to get out of the activity, and when in the year it is. My more able are often not the Yr1s - so they are supported as needed. As far as APP goes, I have been slightly ignoring it (!) as, as far as I understand it, it is about ongoing assessment and next steps - which is what I do for Reception anyway. So have not been using the APP stuff the rest of the school uses, but doing my own thing to record their next steps.

Guest tinkerbell

I think I am in a similar situation to Purple magic.My 5 year 1 get the same as the reception but I also have more adult led teacher imput sessions with them...I get them started and then leave them to it.They are really good role models to the reception and lead games etc...

APP I have the sheets and I collect evidence as I would for reception ,I have made a year1 sheet that I stick post its on etc.I do letters and sounds assessments each half term,and a piece of unaided writing which is levelled.I am also mentor to the NQT in class 2 who has the other yr1 and the yr2 so I am aware of all the childrens assessment proceedures.

Could you liase with the other teacher who has the other yr1 children,you need to keep similar records so it is fair.Moderate and talk about what you are doing.

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)