Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

P.e. In Nursery

Hi,

Recently had school nurse in to talk about how we promote healthy lifestyles and she asked if we did P.E. Currently we don't have a hall slot but do small group sessions in class or outdoor P.E. type activities e.g. sticky kids, dancing to music, ball skills, paracute etc as well as 10 minutes exercise with reception first thing in the morning. She suggested that we should use the apparatus in the hall and even use the climbing frame with adult supervision!!! Do other's in Nursery do P.E. in hall/outdoor as whole class? Is this every week or less frequent? What sorts of activities do you do?

Thanks

Green Hippo

We have a hall slot (most of the time) but this term has been hectic and a couple of children have not settled well so we have not used it.

Usually we do a warm up to music and then we might have parachute games, games like islands, traffic lights or at times we have equipment out like balls, bats, hoops etc.

We don't get dressed in PE kit to use the hall but I think for us its more about familairising the children with another part of ther school

Edited by Scarlettangel

We have two PE hall times and we can choose whether to go in there or into the big playground (where we tend to give everyone a football). In the hall we start by doing ring games, parchute games and working on our 'listening' skills. We then move onto simple equipment, benches, 'tables' etc to practice turn taking, balance, jumping, rolling and getting back into the right place! We have the class split into two groups and it works well, when everyone has had one or two goes the teams swop over onto the other pieces of equipment (we try to have an additional adult if possible - so that there are 3 of us). We do wear P.E. kits like school, but as we are outside the main building the weather plays a part. we were going to develop our PE into using an obstacle course but due to very bad weather and now the onset of Christmas plays, and something called 'speed stacking' that the older children have been doing we don't seem to have been able to get into the hall this half term! However we do 'wake up shake up 3 times a week with the whole school and we do activities and have equipment out in our outdoor area.

• 3 weeks later...

I plan my lessons using learning and development matters 'movement and space,' ' creating music and dance,' I take small groups down with another member of staff and we also do assessments / observations when they are in the hall. They love going down to the main school!

• 2 weeks later...

In our FSU the children who will be in reception this year go to PE. the actual reception children do the whole pe kit thing while the cohort do plimsolls.

I have no idea what they do as I am the NN and stay behind with the young ones.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)