Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Swine Flu Exclusion Time

Hi thumperrabbit,

When the child has been free from fever for a minimum of 24 hours after completing all courses of medication and they appear well then it is safe. Just checked on nhs direct.

HTH

Lesley

I would work on the time span suggested after the symptoms had ended because each child is different if might be difficult to know how long it will take from diagnosis for the child to recover

I was surprised to hear that you can catch swine flu twice, a parent of ours is just recovering and has told us its her second bout

once the symptoms have subsided however, they are no longer consider 'infectious' - or so NHS website said this morning...just double checked:

" How much contact should I have with family and friends?

If you have swine flu, avoid unnecessary contact with family and friends while you are infectious, which is usually until five days after your symptoms started (seven days in children). Once your symptoms have gone, you are no longer infectious.

Keep one metre or more away from people’s faces to avoid droplets from your throat affecting others. Where possible, you can avoid exposing your partner to infection by sleeping in the spare room" (NHS Direct website Swine Flu Q&A)

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Hi again thumperrabbit,

Sorry - I went out after posting my reply! I went to have another look for my source of information and couldn't find the link again! However, I googled 'swine flu when can my child return to school' and there were several items there. As others have said, advice seems conflicting - but the main thing is that the child should be symptom free, including no cough which is sometimes a complication. Many sites state that young children take longer than older children to shake off the symptoms. Our experience has been that they usually take a week or longer to return.

HTH

Lesley

Thanks for that Lesley

It's so difficult these days isn't it, nobody wants to give firm answers on anything.

We had a parent just mention in passing that she thinks her child had it, last weekend but she didn't bother with any antibiotics. Everyone then started to discuss it, should/shouldn't the child be with us, the child seemed bright enough and wanted to stay, so stay she did. I don't know if we did right from wrong - maybe doctor training should be on the list for us next!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)