Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

No Salt Playdough

Hi,

at the nursery i work in we can not make our own playdough because we are not allowed to use salt, does anyone have any tried and tested suitable alternatives?????

thanks

Dawn

because the children eat it, ..... say no more!... personally i would just discourage them from eating it, but im new to the setting and not about to annoy people by suggesting anything as obvious as not allowing them to eat it LOL....

They do buy it in, but we have run out and are not due to make an order for a few weeks.

Can I ask why you can't use salt? :o

Can you not make dough using just flour and water and food colouring and then throw it away?

Our children love to make their own dough and it is such a simple thing to do.

I know it doesn't keep but it lasts long enough for a days fun!!!!!

xD:(:(:( That really made me laugh :wacko: hee hee hee :o

Aaaahhh, I see!!!!

As far as I know the salt is there as a preservative and it can be made without it but it won't last very long.

Buying it in must be expensive, especially if they are eating a large quantity!! xD Do you still offer snack!!! :rolleyes: :unsure: ;):ph34r:

If I was a parent at your setting I'd want you to be ensuring that my child didn't eat playdough, because I certainly wouldn't want to encourage that for the home.

I understand you hesitating to rock the boat though Dawn after what you went through.

My daughter (just turned 4) is obsessed with eating olives and salami, god only knows what her salt intake is like, but at least she leaves her playdough alone.

A flour and water dough works ok, but as said it is a use and throw - doesn't last very well...

as an occasional alternative we used bread dough, just as if making bread... and stored it in a fridge overnight.. used to last a week quite successfully and is a different texture...

Children said it smelled like dads beer though!

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)