Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observation Planning

Ok - need your help my brain is a little slow today!

Am being observed by the head on Tues and this week have decided to focus on Postmen etc with a link to christmas - we are going on a walk later in the week to post out Santa letters, we have a post office role play to go with our home corner (which has xmas cards in it so they need to visit the post office) we are using a good IWB book found on scholastic about a postmans day and to build upon their learning last week which was 3D shape we are going to be wrapping parcels for the postman to deliver. This is where i need your help - am going to sell it to them by saying the postman can;t deliver items unwrapped and could they help etc, provide them with wrapping paper, string, sellotape scissors etc and let them go for it. Firstly would you give them small and large bits of paper or just leave it on the roll for them to cut up? Secondly what would you use as the learning intention (was thinking along the lines of using mathematical ideas to solve practical probs but this is too much of a mouthful for the kids and I know the head will ask them what they are learning about! - any ideas or opinions gratefully received!

This sounds great. My children are wrapping presents at the moment in our Santa's workshop. I provide them with piece of paper of different sizes. They have to decide which piece of paper they will wrap different sized presents with. If you just give them the roll they will all be trying to cut off pieces all at once!!! I have provided thick shiney paper (found some in our resource room that someone had donated) which works well and helps them to wrap better. You could use brown parcel paper too. I also let then use celotape on a cutting reel. Needs a bit of teaching first as many haven't used then before. Provide some box shaped presents too which I've already wrapped. On the front the glue a laminated piece of whitecard. The children can then write on who the present is for or copy an address if they are really clever. You can the wipe it clean if they use a whiteboard pen. Yes the children are using mathematical knowledge to solve problems, not sure how to word this to the children. Perhaps "we're choosing the right piece of paper to wrap the presents."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)