Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Progress Matters

Hi Just wondering what others use to moniter progress in preschools. Have been reading the nat stratergies new document and I'm beginning to feel that although the gov keep saying children are at the heart of every thing and the EYFS is based around childrens interests. That really it is about a creation of a mountain of paper. When do other find the time to do all these assessments? I am rambling sorry but feel the time with the children is so important and more is been taken away to write eveluations and observations. What happened to conversation betwwen professionals about next steps and achievements that didn't have to be written down and accounted for but relied on professional judgement and experience and knowledge.

Sorry but feel better now. anybody else need a rant.

Carol Jayne :o

Glad you feel better for that! :o

You are right - we WERE promised less paperwork and 'Number 10' said that ...

" The only statutory requirement to write anything down is that practitioners must complete an EYFS Profile for each child in the year in which they turn five – reception class at primary school for most children. This is intended to help inform future policy, and to support teachers in understanding children’s needs when they enter Key Stage 1 of primary school."

Number 10

So, what's happened to change everything? Have our local areas 'made' the paperwork necessary? Ofsted? or have we generated it all by ourselves to justify our own knowledge of children's progress?

Edited by Cait

we have been told by our lea that we have to complete this.... but has anyone tried????As for pse it is just one overall band rather than the different sections, like dispostitions and attitude etc, so if they have a low level in one area they automatically drop down in all areas of pse when you put the data in.... It is the same for all the areas CLL, PSRN etc........

I have been trying to do this over the holidays and it has been a nightmare.

I agree with everything said as i thought this was something we are moving away from. But as a manager it does have some advantages as you can see on a graph where all the children are, you can also divide it up into sub catergories, for example a particular key person children, it has made me aware that one of my staff is scoring her children very low as if she is scared to mark them higher, it also allows you to compare the girls and boys in your setting.... so it does have advantages but it also has many nagatives......

Has anyone else completed it.

Hi Simcity

I'm with you - the bands are ridiculous and the information you end up with is worthless. When I went on the website yesterday it said they've uploaded a new version following comments! Clearly they didn't listen cos it looks exactly the same :o Not going to bother until it is deemed compulsory....

At the beginning of last term I had an experiment and will use that or a slightly updated one to demonstrate to anyone official who asks, exactly why I think it's rubbish, so there!

Edited by Guest

Hi,

Simcity, what were you using to compare the girls and boys?

Thanks

Julie

Once you put all your data in you can divide it in 2 sub catorgies, it divides up all your children into girls and boys, and shows you on a graph where they are in each area....... i thought my girls would off been higher than my boys but on the graph its quite even........

Hi Simcity

I'm with you - the bands are ridiculous and the information you end up with is worthless. When I went on the website yesterday it said they've uploaded a new version following comments! Clearly they didn't listen cos it looks exactly the same :o Not going to bother until it is deemed compulsory....

At the beginning of last term I had an experiment and will use that or a slightly updated one to demonstrate to anyone official who asks, exactly why I think it's rubbish, so there!

We have been told by our LEA to complete it, so i have struggled through, i guess it has allowed me to focus on certain areas in my planning where i can see the level is low as a whole.... but to me its a tick sheet!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)